12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 5:25 PM by shudder

IWP -- Radio Buttons and Checkboxes Displaying Horizontally Only

shudder

Title

IWP -- Radio Buttons and Checkboxes Displaying Horizontally Only

I am finding that Radio Button and Checkbox fields are only displaying horizontally via IWP.  I'm okay redoing the UI to accommodate this anomaly, but is this right?  Does FMP 10 show these types of fields ONLY horizontally on the web?  I can't seem to find anything about this anywhere (and I searched here as well).

Thanks,

- Michael 

• 1. Re: IWP -- Radio Buttons and Checkboxes Displaying Horizontally Only
          DLW-BPEX

Michael,

Not sure about radio buttons, but I presently have checkboxes in a FMP 10 IWP solution. They are arranged in a "cluster" with 3 in the first column and 2 in the second column. (I don't have a vertical-only setup at the moment. Not sure whether that would make a difference.

Although I cannot seem to locate the precise passage at the moment, I do recall seeing in IWP-related documentation that it is "recommended" to arrange these controls horizontally. Also, in a previous (FMP 9) IWP solution I did have vertically arranged radio buttons and checkboxes that seemed to work fine, IIRC.

If I have time to dig up that older one, or to modify the current one to check on it, I will post accordingly.

Regards,

David 

• 2. Re: IWP -- Radio Buttons and Checkboxes Displaying Horizontally Only
            shudder

I am finding this issue on my Mac (10.5.8) running Firefox (3.5.6) and also my Win XP box (SP2) running Firefox (2.0.0.20).  This is the same configurations as my clients will be running.

For S&L I tried it under IE (7.0.5730.13) on my Windows box and it actually behaves a bit better (go figure!), although not 100%.  So, it may be a Firefox thing?  Who knows?...  I guess I'll just adapt to the one way it seems to work 100% of the time, and that's horizontally.  If you find something that might shed light on this, please post.

Thanks, David.

- Michael 

• 3. Re: IWP -- Radio Buttons and Checkboxes Displaying Horizontally Only
              DLW-BPEX

I just tried these setups on my "clustered" checkboxes over IWP:

Mac 10.6.2: Safari 4.0.4, Firefox 3.5.6.  Tried Camino, too -- but that's something else again :)

Win XP SP2: IE8, Firefox 3.5.6.

All seemed to display the checkboxes similarly; i.e., 3 in first column, 2 in second. (Of course there were other differences, as usual.)

• 4. Re: IWP -- Radio Buttons and Checkboxes Displaying Horizontally Only
                shudder

Okay.  Thanks for the info, David.  I am not getting a similar experience and I wish I was, but I get that certain things may be wonky as you adapt a system to IWP.

- Michael 

• 5. Re: IWP -- Radio Buttons and Checkboxes Displaying Horizontally Only
                  DLW-BPEX

FWIW:

I just reshaped the checkbox field (narrower, taller) to force the 5 checkboxes to wrap onto separate lines. Appears okay in IWP.

Mac 10.6.2, Firefox 3.5.6. 

What exactly are you seeing? Do lower ones just get cut off, or what?

Sorry I couldn't help.

David 

• 6. Re: IWP -- Radio Buttons and Checkboxes Displaying Horizontally Only
                    shudder

Thanks for continuing with me on this.  :smileyhappy:

It may simply be our environment (since you are obviously getting better results that I am!).  I can't change that end of things, so may have to stick with just doing them horizontally.  It ain't that big a deal, though it certainly could be depending on the contents of the checkbox or radio button Value List...  Fortunately my VL has only about six or seven values, so the horizontal checkboxes or radio buttons resulting won't go offscreen to the left or anything like that. 

When I reshape the box to do a vertical or vertical/horizontal combination listing I get only the topmost radio or check -- all others simply disappear from the UI (*poof*).  I played around with it by reshaping the box to various size to see what I got, and the only time it shows everything every time is when they are all horizontal.  Okay.  Well, that's a bummer for me, but I can deal.  Just wish it were more standardized, but as mentioned, I get that there is a plethora of different OSes, browsers, environmental changes, etc. that might influence this as compared with just doing it in native FMP.

Thanks again.

- Michael 

• 7. Re: IWP -- Radio Buttons and Checkboxes Displaying Horizontally Only
                      philmodjunk
                         What web browser(s) are you using to access your database? There might be a difference there that would explain this.
                      • 8. Re: IWP -- Radio Buttons and Checkboxes Displaying Horizontally Only
                        shudder

Hi Phil -- I put all that in my reply #2 up above -- various flavors of FF and IE (no Safari for now as it is not part of this particular env).

It does seem odd though... 

- Michael 

• 9. Re: IWP -- Radio Buttons and Checkboxes Displaying Horizontally Only
                          shudder

Hi Folks --

As it would happen, I am having yet other issues with IWP (I may post about that separately in a little while...), so I went digging into the fm10_instant_web_publish_en.pdf file (I located it on my Mac at Applications / FileMaker Pro 10 / English Extras / Electronic Documentation) and found the exact blurb about horizontal checkboxes that David referenced above (good memory, David!! -- it's down on p. 27):

"Arrange fields formatted as a checkbox set or radio button set with the value lists displayed horizontally for best results."

With that in mind, I think I am stuck doing the horizontal dance.

Thanks! 

- Michael 

• 10. Re: IWP -- Radio Buttons and Checkboxes Displaying Horizontally Only
                            DLW-BPEX

Another FWIW:

I did find the pertinent passage in the IWP Guide -- Chapter 4, page 27, very last line:

"Arrange fields formatted as a checkbox set or radio button set with the value lists displayed horizontally for best results."

That's it. No other details. Surely would be nice to have some background explanation that might help us understand why that is so, what workarounds could make a difference, etc.

David

(Sorry, Michael. I was slower to post than you were.) 

• 11. Re: IWP -- Radio Buttons and Checkboxes Displaying Horizontally Only
                              shudder

Oh, and I just found reference to my other problem with IWP -- editing of drop-down lists by users is not supported in IWP.  Ah, well -- time to figure out a suitable workaround for that now as well.  :smileymad:

- Michael 

• 12. Re: IWP -- Radio Buttons and Checkboxes Displaying Horizontally Only
                                shudder

Yeah, David -- Check out my reply just above your last one -- I found it in the same place yuou did, along with other stuff that is making me crazy.  I'm sure it's all got to do with FM's ability (or inability, as the case may be) to render HTML, etc. etc.  No matter -- I just gotta figures out ways to do stuff that is easy in the native app.

Thanks for your eyeballs today!  Cheers.

- Michael