2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2010 11:56 AM by carolyn

IWP -- Script step New window -- not working over the web  FM 11

carolyn

Title

IWP -- Script step New window -- not working over the web  FM 11

Hi All,

Using: Filemaker 11, Mac Core Duo, Leopard

I created a button with a script calling for a new named window.  According to the documentation this script step should work in IWP. However, when pressing this button from the web, the layout that should appear in the new window instead replaces the layout in the existing window.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Carolyn

• 1. Re: IWP -- Script step New window -- not working over the web  FM 11
          fitch

IWP cannot create new browser windows, that's just the way it works.

If you select "WebPublishing" from the Show Compatibility popup menu in the Edit Script window, you'll notice that the script step says

New Window (VIRTUAL WINDOW ON WEB)

This is great when you want to e.g. create a new record in a new window and then close that window, as the user doesn't see any of the behind-the-scenes action that you don't want them to see. I wish we could use the "virtual window" in the standard FMP client.

Anyhow, it's just another one of those things you need to adjust for in your IWP layouts and scripts. It is documented:

"New Window: Does not open a new physical browser window, but instead opens a new virtual window within the existing browser window. Although each virtual window can display a different layout, table, found set, or sort order as is possible in FileMaker Pro windows, web users can only view one virtual window at a time. "

• 2. Re: IWP -- Script step New window -- not working over the web  FM 11
            carolyn

Thanks Fitch for your explanation. 

My expections were that the virtual window would have been in the dimensions that I specified.  I did not understand what I was seeing.  After reading your comment I contiued on making a close window button. I now see what you mean. 

My initial objective in creating a new window was to provide access to information in one window while entering information in another.  Using new window may not be the solution for my current problem; however, now that I understand it, its a another tool for future solutions.

Thanks again.