AnsweredAssumed Answered

IWP -- Users Not Able To Modify Drop Down Menus

Question asked by shudder on Jan 12, 2010
Latest reply on Jan 12, 2010 by DLW-BPEX

Title

IWP -- Users Not Able To Modify Drop Down Menus

I am dealing with building an IWP-capable system from the ground up for the first time, and there are definitely some gotchas in regards to what you can and can't do with IWP.  Yesterday I wrote in here in regards to the odd display of IWP -- Radio Buttons and Checkboxes Displaying Horizontally Only in IWP-published systems.  Eventually I came to look at the fm10_instant_web_publish_en.pdf doc that comes with FM10.  Very helpful.

Then, I found this blurb on p. 29 of the fm10_instant_web_publish_en.pdf file that set me back a notch:

"Pop-up menus and pop-up lists display as HTML pop-up menus. Web users can’t edit value lists by using an Edit item, or enter values that aren’t in a value list by using an Other item."

Argh.  I was thinking I was stuck, and that users would always have to manually type in values instead of being able to use a Value Lists that refers to the same field (as you can do in the native app).  So, I thought this through and hit upon the idea of creating a separate, unrelated table inside my dbms that held just the three fields I needed drop down menus for in my main system.  Doing this users can then look in the menu in the main system, and if they don't see the value they need, they will click a button that will take them to another LO that will allow them to add new records to the unrelated table (to add in new names, etc.). 

The records in this adjunct db aren't really important --I am just using them so that I can then set the drop down menus on my main db to look at these fields and use all values for the drop down lists.  In fact, you can add in a new value to any empty field on any single record because the records themselves will not be used for anything else, other than carrying the data so that they may be used in Value Lists for the main system.

It's a bit of a run around the barn, but it works great.  Has anyone else done something like this in a different less circuitous way that you would care to share?

Thanks for your time and interest.

- Michael 

Outcomes