5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2013 1:50 AM by paolobkk

IWP doesn't load PDF

paolobkk

Title

IWP doesn't load PDF

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for an answer to this weird problem but then I've decided to post it here:

I have a Customer database related to a Contracts table (Contracts table is in another related fm file). The users can upload the PDF of the contracts thru a portal in the Customer layout.

After the upload we can see the small image in the portal of the PDF (the container field generates the thumbnail).

I've duplicated that field and placed outside the portal, where I can see and interact with the PDF.

Everything is working well in FMPRO but in IWP it's only showing the PDF thumbnail in the portal but not the other field.

In Safari it keeps on loading and in Chrome is showing the file name like a link, but when I click , it get lost on loading.  (see picture).

Am I forgetting some settings somewhere?

Thank you for any suggestion

FMIWPPDF.jpg

• 1. Re: IWP doesn't load PDF
          philmodjunk

Presumably, this is a container field? What storage options did you specify for it?

• 2. Re: IWP doesn't load PDF
            paolobkk

Hi Phil,

Yes is a container field from a related table in another file. 

The settings are:

-Store container data externally ( relative to [hosted location]/files/(name of fm file)/ )

-Secure Storage

In the layout the field is set as "Interactive Content" in the inspector.

Let me also specify that the files are in FM Server Advanced 12. 

I've been reading documentation and also tested different settings, but i'm sure I'm missing something.

• 3. Re: IWP doesn't load PDF
              philmodjunk

It may be a limitation of IWP, I'm not sure. You might try using a web viewer to display the contents of the PDF--which means you'd have to change the way the files are stored or you may need to use Insert Picture (If using the Mac OS) to insert the PDF.

There's also a third party product called SuperContainer.

• 4. Re: IWP doesn't load PDF
                paolobkk

The SuperContainer should do the job. Sadly it doesn't fit in the budjet of the project which was counting on this feature of FM12 to be able to download  PDF from web browser.

The office client machines are all PC and the PDFs are multipage, so "insert Picture" cannot be used in this solution.

Perhaps the web wiever can be an option, could you pls give me a short description on how to upload the files in order to be able to see them on a Web viewer?

Thank you!

• 5. Re: IWP doesn't load PDF
                  paolobkk

I've just noted that the address of the PDF is pointing on the local address of the server:

http://192.168.2.51:16000/Streaming/MainDB/FM-664A9127-4F23-4AA9-8008-0443D31568AC.pdf

where http://192.168.2.51:16000 should be domain related to the fix IP used to connect from the internet.

Perhaps some settings to tweak on the server?