4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2009 6:36 AM by jond

IWP not starting?

jond

Title

IWP not starting?

I'm using FMPadv8v2 on MacOSX10.5.8 to build a program for IWP.

I built a simple form and then turned on IWP and it all worked well when accessed using safari on the development computer or from WinXP from another computer on the same network.

Unfortunately the next time I tried to enable IWP on the development computer it failed with error: Instant Web Publishing can not be started?

I checked the knowledge base and found a similar error for FMPro v9 and it suggested to delete the web.prefs file but that did not help.

Taking the program to a Win XP FMPro8.5V2 machine and enabling the IWP worked fine although it did prompt me to change the port due to a conflict on port 80.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get IWP working again on Mac?

• 1. Re: IWP not starting?
          TSGal

JonD:

Do you have multiple copies of FileMaker Pro?  That is, a copy of FileMaker Pro Advanced 8.0v2 and FileMaker Pro 7?

What other applications are running concurrently.  I'm usually running Safari, Mail, iCal, and a few others, but I'm looking for something out of the ordinary.

Did you have to force quit FileMaker Pro at any time?  If so, then you will need to restart your machine to reset FileMaker Pro.

Any other information may be helpful in narrowing down the possible cause(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: IWP not starting?
            jond

Hi TSgal, 

There haven't been any force quits and there is only common software programs on that computer:  Filemaker 8.5 ADV, office, acrobat reader, iwork, ilife, iantivirus, aperture and itunes.

When IWP was first turned on I started safari and it connected to the program and worked well as did a PC that I have on the same network.

I turned off the IWP, closed safari, and then immediately tried to turn it back on and IWP refused to start.

When IWP refused to start I restarted the computer, launched filemaker (only non OS related program running) and tried to turn on the IWP but it still says IWP failed to start.

Could there be something in the MAC OS that is preventing it from working?  or should I try to uninstall and re-install FM?

Thank you

JonD

• 3. Re: IWP not starting?
              TSGal

JonD:

Sorry for the late reply.

Assuming you were using Instant Web Publishing with the default port 80, there may have been a conflict on that port.  FileMaker, Inc. has registered port 591, so change the Instant Web Publishing to use port 591 instead.  If you now run into a problem, then there may be an issue with FileMaker Pro.  For testing purposes, create a new user account, log into that account, and launch FileMaker Pro.  Are you able to turn on Instant Web Publishing?

I know it has been several days since your post.  If you found a solution, please let me know, as others may encounter the same problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: IWP not starting?
                jond

TSGal, thank you for your reply.

The port has to be set in the advanced options for IWP doesn't it?

When I go into instant web publishing it is initially turned off and the advanced options are greyed out.  When I try to turn instand web publishing on I get an error that "Filemaker cannot share files over the web because instand web publishing could not be started".

I tried a few different users that have IWP in their priveledge sets and none allowed IWP to start.

I'm going to try re-installing.

Thank you

JonD