4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2013 11:38 PM by tmlutas

IWP on wrong network on multihomed Mac

tmlutas

Title

IWP on wrong network on multihomed Mac

My Macintosh (OS X 10.7.5) gets on the Internet via wifi and it has a direct ethernet connection to a printer on a separate network. The wifi has a DHCP reservation and the printer mini-net is set up on static. When I turn on IWP (Filemaker 12 Advanced) the url that is published is an url on the wired mini-network. How do I make IWP change to publish databases on the wifi network? 

• 1. Re: IWP on wrong network on multihomed Mac
          schamblee

Your printer can have a static ip address and the other devices on your network recieve there ip address from a DHCP server and be on the same network.  It is standard practice to give your printer a static ip address, so you don't have to change setting on your computer every time you power off / on your printer.    The ip address in filemaker is the same as your computers ip address, which is given by the DHCP server.    Your computer could be given a static ip address which would be recommend if you are going to access your databases outside your local network, because your router will need to use port forwarding to your computer.  If you didn't give your computer a static ip address, then when the ip changed you would also have to change the ip in your router under port forwarding everytime your ip address changes on your computer.

If you want to access your database outside your local network then see this post:

No Go w/FM12

• 2. Re: IWP on wrong network on multihomed Mac
            tmlutas

The printer is not physically on the same network. It is on a different network segment. A DHCP reservation means that the DHCP server always gives the same address to the computer based on the network card MAC address. The advantage of DHCP reservation over static is that if you do a network wide change (let's say change your DNS servers around or add a WINS server) you can do it in the DHCP server and have it propagate without having to visit a bunch of static addressed computers to manually change each one. At ten IP devices on my private network (plus the occasional visitor), that's already a bit of a headache. 

Let me restate. In a multi-homed MAC, IWP should either publish on all networks, or allow you to choose which network to publish on. Does it do either? Is the behavior I'm seeing where it prefers a lower ranked network interface if it is static but not if it is dynamic the expected behavior? I can't find any documentation on this situation much less if there are any workarounds. 

• 3. Re: IWP on wrong network on multihomed Mac
              schamblee

Sorry.  I missed multi-homed and most people don't have a multi-homed networks.  

I have not seen any instruction to select different networks / ip address.   You may be able to disable / turn off the network card connected to the network that your printer is connected / mini network.   Then start filemaker and then turn on iwp.   If this gives you the correct ip address, then start up your mini-network again.

• 4. Re: IWP on wrong network on multihomed Mac
                tmlutas

Unfortunatey, IWP doesn't stick to a network once it's picked one. When the static Ethernet link is turned back on, IWP changes networks. Again, is this just me?