1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2010 4:27 PM by sunwelding

IWP Outside of Network

craig5005

Title

IWP Outside of Network

In the IWP Guide, there is a section that says 

-You can access data remotely, whether from a home office or while travelling.

I found another post that talks about this, but it didn't help that much.  Is there a way to go about accessing the database through IWP when not connected to the same internet connection?  If so, is it straight forward (if not, any good resources available?).

Thanks

Craig 

• 1. Re: IWP Outside of Network
          TSGal

craig5005:

Thank you for your post.

If you have a static IP address/domain name, you can access the database file with Instant Web Publishing no matter where you are located.  It sounds like you don't have a static IP address, so check with your network administrator or internet provider about acquiring a static IP address.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: IWP Outside of Network
            craig5005

And if we do have a static IP address... how do we go about accessing the database from outside the network?

Craig 

• 3. Re: IWP Outside of Network
              mrvodka

If your external IP is not attached directly to your machine, then you will have to use port fowarding to translate your external IP to your internal location...

Here is a video on port forwarding if you are not familiar with it.

http://www.filemakerdesign.com/blog/?bid=11

• 4. Re: IWP Outside of Network
                craig5005

I am not sure if its attached or not.  We have a server set up with about 6-10 computers all getting internet access from that server.  When I go to whatsmyip.org, it is the same on all the computers.

Craig 

• 5. Re: IWP Outside of Network
                  mrvodka

Right. So you have an External IP that comes into your modem etc and then a router that assigns internal IPs to each computer.

If you are using DHCP, you will have to assign your server static IPs. Then you can use port fowarding to forward to the proper box.

• 6. Re: IWP Outside of Network
                    craig5005

I found out that we have a static IP... does this still mean all the computers have different IPs?  I ask because when I check the IP's, they are all the same.

Craig 

• 7. Re: IWP Outside of Network
                      mrvodka

You may have a static external address, but you still need a static address on your local network...

Each computer cant have the same IPs...

type in

ipconfig /all

If you go to whatsmyip.org, it will give you your external IP because all the computers go through that same IP.

You will most likely have a router that "routes" the data to different internal IPs... The default setting on most computers are set for DHCP where the router dynamically assigns an IP.

192.168.1.102 ( internal )

You have to make the servers use a static IP so it never changes.  ( under the network connection -->LAN --> Properties --> TCP/IP for windows) So you manually assign it to always use 192.168.1.105 or something...

Now you can port forward to that server box.

• 8. Re: IWP Outside of Network
                        craig5005

Thanks Mr. Vodka.

I am using a mac, I have arranged for our IT guy to come in tomorrow... he will probably know how to forward the ports.

After that, to access the database, do users just type in the IP address, followed by the port (ie. 192.168.0.1:591).

If I am using port 80, I imagine I won't have to type that in... however, right now when I type in our IP address, it goes to the microsoft exhange server, will I have to switch to port 591?

• 9. Re: IWP Outside of Network
                          mrvodka
                             Yes most likely you will probably have to change to 591. You would use your external IP:591 ( from whatismyIP ). Of the port fowarding is setup properly, it should send the request to your proper server.
                          • 10. Re: IWP Outside of Network
                            BrettM

I'm running into the same problem with a trail version of FM Pro 10 w/ MacBook Pro OS 10.5.

I found IWP really quick and easy for viewing on my *internal* network, but really lacking in documentation for getting other users to connect to my database from various locations via the Internet.

The closest I've found is this thread and this other one:

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&message.id=24065

Is there's a step-by-step somewhere that shows:

1) How to set up IWP for Internet

2) How to capture your 'outside' IP address (mine seems to be static via WhatIsMyIP.com)

3) How to set up your OS 10.5 firewall / file sharing / etc. so users can access the database

4) Anything else that a semi-techie may not think about?

I've followed the steps in all the FM IWP documentation I can find, but it seems obvious from these posts that there's more to it then just turning IWP on in FM and adding port 591 to the options.

Thanks!

Brett.

• 11. Re: IWP Outside of Network
                              davidanders

EVERY TIME I try to explain this, I realize it really requires waving of arms, 3x5 cards, video and background singers.

What is an IP Address versus a Domain Name Server Entry?

When a user at a remote location opens a webbrowser, that user can enter an IP address or a Domain Name

IP Address  -  155.22.45.20:591

Domain Name - MyFMPIWPDB.com 

The Domain Name is translated by a DNS server into the IP Address. 

Translates into the Static or Dynamic Address  155.22.45.20   Port 591 

This is a request for a Filemaker IWP database hosted on the computer at  155.22.45.20

This IP Address may be

Single computer hooked up to a Cable or DSL Modem

OR one of multiple computers that are connected with a router to a Cable or DSL Modem.

The Router has been Instructed to Forward requests for that Port to the correct computer.

http://portforward.com/   (instructions for forwarding requests to the correct computer) 

A Dynamic IP Address is the no extra charge Cable or DSL standard.

A Dynamic IP Address may change when the power goes out for some time, and maybe not.

A Dynamic Ip Address is selected from a pool of IP Addresses that your Internet Service Provider pays for.

Your ISP buys and pays for their Static IP Addresses.

They share this pool with their clients in a geographic area or all clients. 

Your ISP may change it randomly when you turn off your Cable Modem or DSL Modem/Router for an hour or a day.

Your Dynamic IP Address may stay the same for years, or may change tomorrow.

WiKi about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address 

A free service to get around Dynamic DNSs

http://www.dyndns.com/ 

Information about Dynamic DNSs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS 

A Static IP Address is yours as long as you pay your ISP $5 once, or $5 a month, depends on their policy. 

All main websites have a Static IP Addres, it is a basic web asset to have.

Google probably has thousands if not tens of thousands Static IP Addresses. 

INTERNET > sends request for Port 80 (WebServer by default) to your Static IP Address 

If your DSL Router/Modem or Cable Modem has ONE computer attached, AND that computer is running a WebServer (Apache for instance) the request is processed by the ONLY computer attached to the Router/Modem and your webpage is returned to the asking computer on the internet. 

INTERNET > sends request for Port 591 (Filemaker) to the router / modem.

The router / modem has been instructed to forward these requests to a specific computer at IP Address 10.0.0.23

The computer at that address responds, your remote user sees the IWP login page served by FMP or FMP Server.

Questions welcomed.

Arm Waving, 3x5 cards required. 

• 12. Re: IWP Outside of Network
                                BrettM

EDIT: I've posted the solution that worked for me here, http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=32580#M32580

I've seen a few of your posts in my research David and appreciate the reply!

This was especially helpful:

"INTERNET > sends request for Port 591 (Filemaker) to the router / modem.

The router / modem has been instructed to forward these requests to a specific computer at IP Address 10.0.0.23

The computer at that address responds, your remote user sees the IWP login page served by FMP or FMP Server."

I checked out PortForward.com and here's part of my challenge... I blindly clicked through to "Airport Extreme --> FileMaker Pro" even though I'm on Time Capsule.  I was able to compare the Airport Extreme set up there to my Airport Utility and found the Port Mapping area.

Having found that, and being somewhat techie (programming / software... not hardware / networking) I have no confidence in what I may or may not be doing.  I can try a few things but I'm tired of that and was wondering if a step-by-step existed that took you from "Set IWP in FM Pro" to "Put this address in your colleague's browser and they'll see your database."

The marketing for FM talks about how easy IWP is... which I did find for viewing my DB on my own network.  I'm surprised I haven't found a step-by-step that walks you through the same with accessing via Internet.  The FM documentation seems sorely lacking.

E.g., "Accessing a FileMaker database from the web.  To access the Database Homepage, web users open the web browser, then type the IP address of the host computer."

I'm sure that works for FM Server but not FM Pro.

Heck; I'll even pay for it if I'm confident it will get me to where I'm going!  Viewing / editing my databases via the Internet with co-workers in different countries and continents is a big plus for FM and I'm keenly interested in getting it set up.

Forgive me if I'm dense on your excellent post.  I understand the difference between static and dynamic IP (I'm 99% sure I'm on dynamic), DNS vs. IP, etc.  I just want to figure out what my colleagues should be putting in their web browsers... and how do I set up my computer / FM Pro to let them in (hopefully without compromising my computer's security at all, or as little as possible).

Thanks!

Brett.

• 13. Re: IWP Outside of Network
                                  BrettM

I was thinking about this last night and below is a short version of my reply above.  I don't know all the answers, so I'm just guessing at the structure for the answers from what I've read from David and others.http://forum-en.filemaker.com/t5/util/emoticonspopuppage

How To Access A FM Pro 10 Database Via The Internet (non-Local Network) Using IWP

1. Set up IWP as explained in Chapter 2 of FM Pro's Instant Web Publishing Guide, especially pp.9-10.
                                  2. Confirm if your IP address is Dynamic or Static.  Assume 99% of people, especially residential users, use a dynamic IP address assigned by their ISP.
                                  3. Figure out your IP address using XXXXX tool.
                                  4. Set up your computer / modem / network to allow incoming FM Pro requests to be passed through your network to the right computer that is running / hosting the FM Pro database.
                                    1. This would probably include, at least on that Mac, proper set up of firewall / sharing / etc. in System Preferences, as well as port mapping and anything else I may have missed.
                                  5. Collect the right IP / port combination (i.e., http://[IP Address] : [port]) and hand out / test!

I'm all for helping put this together.  I document steps and train on processes quite frequently... in this case I just need the info to put in the right order!  If anyone's willing, post below as it seems there's a lot more to this then the average user would be able to figure out on their own without a lot of hair pulling. :).

In any case, ANYTHING that would help me move ahead on my Mac OS X machine would be a big help.  As stated before, this looks like a great solution for our needs but all for naught if I can't get my colleagues to access databases hosted on my machine.

Thanks,

Brett.

• 14. Re: IWP Outside of Network
                                    davidanders

I appreciate your compliments, but am more interested in your advice.

Where are you confused? What could be more obvious?

ANY input is very appreciated.

***SNIP""""

How To Access A FM Pro 10 Database Via The Internet (non-Local Network) Using IWP

1. Set up IWP as explained in Chapter 2 of FM Pro's Instant Web Publishing Guide, especially pp.9-10.
                                    2. Confirm if your IP address is Dynamic or Static. Assume 99% of people, especially residential users, use a dynamic IP address assigned by their ISP.
                                    3. Figure out your IP address using XXXXX tool.
                                    4. Set up your computer / modem / network to allow incoming FM Pro requests to be passed through your network to the right computer that is running / hosting the FM Pro database.
                                      1. This would probably include, at least on that Mac, proper set up of firewall / sharing / etc. in System Preferences, as well as port mapping and anything else I may have missed.
                                    5. Collect the right IP / port combination (i.e., http://[IP Address] : [port]) and hand out / test!

I'm all for helping put this together. I document steps and train on processes quite frequently... in this case I just need the info to put in the right order! If anyone's willing, post below as it seems there's a lot more to this then the average user would be able to figure out on their own without a lot of hair pulling.

YEAH!!

This is good.

Deserves to be Highlighted

1 2 Previous Next