1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2011 1:38 PM by GiovanniMacias

IWP Participant information

GiovanniMacias

Title

IWP Participant information

I have participants registering for two different classes using IWP. When someone logs in, that person is able to see other participants' and the classes they have selected and even change their information. How can I lock the information so that new participant only creates a new record?

• 1. Re: IWP Participant information
          philmodjunk

There's a lot of ways you can lock users away from all but certain layouts and limit them to only their record or records.

For starters:  Set your file to run a script when the file is first opened. (an option in File Options).

This script can either create a new record each time, or it can go to a different layout where the user can enter data in a global field to find their existing participant record to modify it or to create a brand new participant record.

Keep in mind that you can remove layouts from the layout menu and you can also lock and hide the status area to limit user access to just using your buttons/scripts for working with the database.

• 2. Re: IWP Participant information
            GiovanniMacias

How will the Script look like for creating a new record. Like this

Go to layout ["Participants"(Participants)]

New Record/Request

Go to field [Participants::ParticipantName]

??

• 3. Re: IWP Participant information
              GiovanniMacias

I been reading and I know I have to create a script to do all of the following

#1 Go to the layout and create a new record

#2 Commit Records/Request

#3 Exit Application// so that people properly log out from the database

This is what I have, but it doesn't do what I want:

Go to layout ["Participants"(Participants)]

New Record/Request

Enter Browse Mode[]

Go to Field [Participant::ParticipantName]

View As [View as Form]

Commit Recors/Request

Exit Application

Do I need to add this to a previous scrip I created???

• 4. Re: IWP Participant information
                GiovanniMacias

Should I have two different scripts one for Opening the layout and one for properly closing and exiting the database?

• 5. Re: IWP Participant information
                  philmodjunk

At this point, I don't see what a script that runs when the file closes would accomplish for you. I forget the exact name, but one of the Get functions can be used to detect whether the current user is or is not accessing from a web browser and this can help your opening script respond differently for web users than for others.

• 6. Re: IWP Participant information
                    GiovanniMacias

What is wrong with the scrip describe above. Is it completely off? Should it be done differently? 

• 7. Re: IWP Participant information
                      philmodjunk

Sorry, didn't scroll up and see that post. Why did you use Exit Application? This is telling filemaker to quit and this isn't what you want or need here.

Leave out that one step and test with a web browser to see what you then get.

• 8. Re: IWP Participant information
                        GiovanniMacias

Yes, I just realized that. i changed that. Everything works. Now, I have two issues only

1. New participants can go back and edit other people's info eventhough is a new record

2. Can I hide the home and submit, find so that participants dont have access to that?

• 9. Re: IWP Participant information
                          philmodjunk

You can hide the status area with: Show/Hide Status Area [Lock; Hide]

You can add this code to your script just before you create a new record:

Enter Find Mode[]
                          Set Field [Participants::ParticipantID ; -1]
                          Set Error capture [on]
                          Perform Find[]

This creates an empty found set so that other records are not part of the found set and thus accessible to your users.

• 10. Re: IWP Participant information
                            GiovanniMacias

I understand that I need to add the Show....[Lock;Hide] before the new record, but Where should I the second part (Enter Find Mode[].....Perform Find[])?

Thanks, I am so excited 

• 11. Re: IWP Participant information
                              GiovanniMacias

Also, Since I have hidden the log out button, how can I let participants that they have completed the application? Should I create a button that sends them to another layout as a confirmation?

• 12. Re: IWP Participant information
                                philmodjunk

Where should I the second part (Enter Find Mode[].....Perform Find[])?

You can add this code to your script just before you create a new record:

Since I have hidden the log out button, how can I let participants that they have completed the application? Should I create a button that sends them to another layout as a confirmation?

A different layout is one option. You could also define a text field in Participants, add it to your layout and put a message in it to tell the user they have finished registering.

• 13. Re: IWP Participant information
                                  GiovanniMacias

How should the button look like? If I want the text to display after submission instead of creating a new layout

• 14. Re: IWP Participant information
                                    GiovanniMacias

This is what I did:

#1. I successfully created a button on the original layout that sends participants to another layout basically giving them a confirmation.

#2. I tried what you suggested, creating a button to display a text saying "You have submitted your application" (on the original layout), but I was unsuccessful.

There's a problem with both #1 and #2

New participants are not logging out of the database properly since there's no logout button. So when a new participant logs in, it remembers the last participant. How do I make sure participants log out properly so new participants don't see the previous participant?

1 2 Previous Next