9 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2013 7:58 AM by philmodjunk

IWP randomly breaks relationship between files upon submission

crtlindaalderman

Title

IWP randomly breaks relationship between files upon submission

When users submit from one particular input screen of a forms database, every so often the data is jumbled upon submission and throws data in the key used to form the relationship between files.  I have rebuilt the layout, looked for anything on the layout that would cause this.  It is the first time as the forms are used that the user encounters a larger text field.  Any advice would help.  There are only two text fields on the input screen with a couple of buttons to navigate, preview and print.  These very same functions appear throughtout the database.  It is only this one spot where it happens.

• 1. Re: IWP randomly breaks relationship between files upon submission
          philmodjunk

I suggest describing the design of your layouts and unerlying tables/relationships in more detail.

• 2. Re: IWP randomly breaks relationship between files upon submission
            crtlindaalderman

The Forms file has a relationship to the Demographics file via a numeric serial number that is hidden.  The input screen where this is happening  in the Forms file does not have the serial number on the screen at all.  There are only two fields on the input screen, both of which are text fields.  Upon navigation, every so often the data from one of the text fields is dumped into the serial number.  It is jumbled via IWP to the server.  The most I can gather from users is that it usually flashes and then demographics disappear.  Unbeknowst to the user is that the relationship is broken to the demographic file.  I can easily find the record and reenter the serial number to restore the relationship to the demographic file.  But I am at a loss as to why it is happening.  The pattern I can see is possible low wireless signals.  But why would it jumble the data? 

• 3. Re: IWP randomly breaks relationship between files upon submission
              philmodjunk

Do you then have two files or one file with two tables? Most posts I've read here in the forum report better IWP results when keeping all the tables in one file.

Is the auto-entered serial number defined in Forms or Demographics?

Are the two fields fields from Demographcs or Forms?

Is "allow creation..." needed and used to create the related record?

One key difference between IWP and Simple FileMaker Clients is that your record is not created and thus the serial number is not generated until the user submits their data to the server, but I also do not have any explanation as to why that data would appear in the wrong field.

You might, as a precaution, take a recent back up of your file and run a recover on it to see if recover reports fixing any issues. You might even then test that recovered copy (even if no issues are reported as fixed), to see if that corrects the issue.

• 4. Re: IWP randomly breaks relationship between files upon submission
                crtlindaalderman

It is a two file, one table each file design.  The serial number is defined and generated in the Demographics file and set upon creation of the record.  All the serial numbers were previously set and were fine up to the point of IWP submission.  The two fields on the input screen are from Forms in Forms.  Allow creation is in the relationship from Demographics to Forms.  The relationship was fine until submission, generally in the same spot.  The serial numbers in all cases were previously created and subsequently overwritten with text from one of the fields.  It is only happening by IWP users, not filemaker users and only rarely.  It seems like the data stream is jumbled by poor connections.

• 5. Re: IWP randomly breaks relationship between files upon submission
                  philmodjunk

Is the layout where the data is submitted based on Demographics or Forms?

All the serial numbers were previously set

Does this mean that you are editing an existing record instead of creating a new one?

• 6. Re: IWP randomly breaks relationship between files upon submission
                    crtlindaalderman

The layout is in Forms and the two fields on the screen are from Forms.  It is breaking the Forms serial number or key that doesn't appear on that page.  My understanding that only the fields that appear are submitted to the server upon a commit command or navigation.  And they are always editing an existing record, not creating one.

• 7. Re: IWP randomly breaks relationship between files upon submission
                      philmodjunk

Yes, but you have at least TWO records involved, one in forms and one in demographics. Is this process creating a new record in demographics or editing an existing one?

How does the Serial number field in Forms get a value?

Have you taken a recent backup copy of Forms and checked it by doing a recover on it?

• 8. Re: IWP randomly breaks relationship between files upon submission
                        crtlindaalderman

The only involvement of the Demographics file is upon creation of record long before the submission is jumbled.  Many times, it could be a year or so prior and many submissions may have occurred in between.  IWP users are not allowed in the Demographics file.  Only two demographic calculations of name and date of birth read only appear on the screen from Demogrphaphics.  The record is created in Forms upon creation of the record in Demographics.  It is a number field set upon the original creation of the record in Demographics.  I have recovered both files.  The only purpose of the demographics file at the time of the occurrence is to allow the user to find the record and that is through a related field that appears on the menu of Forms.  After the find, the user edits and passes through other screens only in the Forms file, hits a screen requiring a paragraph and it flashes and then breaks the relationship. 

• 9. Re: IWP randomly breaks relationship between files upon submission
                          philmodjunk

What's odd is that if this were a bug in FileMaker, I'd expect to see numerous issue reports of the same popping up in Report an Issue and none have been posted there. You may want to post an issue report there to see what the FileMaker TS techs have to say, but I can see no reason for why submitting data from your web browser is entering data into the wrong field.