6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 3:07 PM by philmodjunk

IWP support of relationship fields

Makena05

Title

IWP support of relationship fields

I've created a database that is calling fields from another database.  It was working fine in FileMaker Pro but when I tried in Instant Web Publishing, the dropdown box doesn't show anything in the list.  Am I missing a step?

• 1. Re: IWP support of relationship fields
          Sorbsbuster

Another 'database' - not another 'table'?   I've never tried sharing two linked databases via IWP, so I don't know if they naturally re-connect.  Although I could understand that it would be a struggle for the operating system...

I would suggest the user tries opening both databases via IWP and see if they then connect together.  But I'll be amazed if they do.

• 2. Re: IWP support of relationship fields
            philmodjunk

Perhaps this is a conditonal value list where you specify a value in field one and that value controls what values are listed in field two?

If so, in IWP, you must submit (commit record) the page between selecting the value in field one and accessing the value list for field two. To make things even harder, you can't use script triggers to commit the record either. Fxing this requires some creativity in your interface design to get things to work. You might even want to list the values in a portal with the portal rows set up as buttons to select the value. Then you can select a value in field one and click a 'show' button that submits the data in order to get the values to appear in the portal...

• 3. Re: IWP support of relationship fields
              Makena05

Here is a little more detail on what I am trying to accomplish.  We have a database (database A) that simply contains contact information for all the employees in my department.  The database has names, emails, phone numbers, office numbers, etc.  I am trying to create a new database (B) that is going to be used for checkout of conference/meeting rooms.  In database B I would like to have a dropdown of all the names listed in database A so that when someone wants to reserve a room, they can click the dropdown and select their name.  Their name is obviously tied to their email address in database A...therefore I could have a script to email reservation confirmation to the requestor (without them having to submit their email address).

I was trying to do this in IWP because we have about 200 employees that would access this but only a handful of us have FileMaker Pro.

Thanks in advance for anymore ideas.

• 4. Re: IWP support of relationship fields
                philmodjunk

In database B

By "database B" do you mean a new database file with an external data source link to a table in the file for database A?

(Database is a very fuzzy term in filemaker land. Sometimes "database" is used to refer to a single table, a single file of many tables or an entire goup of files...)

• 5. Re: IWP support of relationship fields
                  Makena05

In database B I mean a new database file with a field linked to a table in database A.  For example, I would create a new field which would be a drop down menu and the values would come from a related field in database A.  So I would go from "use values from field:" > specify field > databaseA::FullName

Does that help?

• 6. Re: IWP support of relationship fields
                    philmodjunk

In database B I mean a new database file with a field linked to a table in database A...

Which means you have two files with an external data source connection set up like I decribed.

It may be simplest to not use a separate file but to keep all tables in a single file.

That said, as far as I know, you can publish a set of files to the web. Are you publishing both Database A AND Database B to the web or just B?