3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 8:42 AM by TSGal

IWP User Makes Change, Main DB Sort Fails

k2qo_1

Title

IWP User Makes Change, Main DB Sort Fails

Hi Gang,

Here's my setup and problem.

Setup: 

FM10 Pro on iMac G5 with IWP running a small 1700 record DB behind TWC modem and Airport Extreme.

Remote users on Verizon FiOS in the field running Intel iMacs/Safari to access the DB.

All computers running newest OS X, etc. 

Problem:

When a remote user either adds a new record or modifies a record that was created on the G5, that record shows up at the beginning of every search. To be more specific, these records are contacts with names, addresses, phone numbers, sent catalog dates, other notes, etc. If an Intel Mac user changes the Sam Smith record by adding a note about a phone call, that record does not sort in order on any computer regardless of the fact that users are asking Last Name ascending. The two other Smith's show up as records 1300 and 1301 but the one that was just modified is Number 1. It will NOT move to position 1302. Every few days I end up another 10 records "out of order". The only way I've found to "fix" the problem is for me to delete the records on the G5 and re-enter them. What a pain!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

Clarence, NY 

• 1. Re: IWP User Makes Change, Main DB Sort Fails
          TSGal

k2qo:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, I cannot duplicate the problem.  I have tried this from a G5 with Mac OS X 10.5.7, and a number of different laptops and machines.  All records are sorted properly, no matter who enters the data.

There is a possibility that your table and/or file is corrupt.  Create a new database file, create a couple of fields, and import the data from your corrupt file into the new file.  Sort the file.  Host the new file, turn on Instant Web Publishing and "All users" access.  Try adding records from another machine.  Do the records sort properly?

If the problem continues, I would like to see the original file (if possible).  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: IWP User Makes Change, Main DB Sort Fails
            etripoli

Another possible workaround: re-index the search fields.  In 'Manage Database', click the 'Options...' button for one of the indexed fields.  Click the 'Storage' tab, and under Indexing, click 'None', but leave 'Automatically create indexes as needed' check.  Save the changes, then try searching in that field, and see if the results are correct.

I'm also curious how the modified/new records show up under 'Show All' and 'Unsort'.

• 3. Re: IWP User Makes Change, Main DB Sort Fails
              TSGal

k2qo:

I received the file, and I could duplicate the problem.  I recovered the file, and the automatic sort on the client side started working again as expected.  The file has been returned to our Technical Support contact, and you should receive the file shortly.  If you do not receive the file by the end of the day, please let me know, and I'll make sure it is sent to you immediately.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.