4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2010 12:52 PM by carlsson_1

IWP, popup window, print dialog

wkparkjoe

Title

IWP, popup window, print dialog

From my researching and reading of the help, the print dialog does not work with IWP. I have a scenario where I have a form for data entry (through IWP). I then have a button on the form that will goto a print version of the form layout as a new (_blank) window and ideally pop up the print dialog, then return to the previous layout.

Is this even possible with IWP? Has anyone ever tried to do something similar and have a work around? I would be happy to get the layout to appear alone in a new window. I can train staff to Ctrl-P manually. This way the print form won't have the side bar to the left.

• 1. Re: IWP, popup window, print dialog
          davidanders

If you go to Script Manager and set compatiblity to Web, you will see that Preview Mode, Print Setup, and Print are greyed out.

Anyone viewing the database would be viewing it in a Web Browser and would have to manually invoke the print command, and then click a return button.

There may be a work around, but I am unaware of any.

A POSSIBLE work around would be to mark the record, have the server check for marks. When found the server could email a PDF to the user.

• 2. Re: IWP, popup window, print dialog
            carlsson_1

Davidanders wrote:

"A POSSIBLE work around would be to mark the record, have the server check for marks. When found the server could email a PDF to the user."

This is an interesting idea, but how do you mail a PDF with IWP?

• 3. Re: IWP, popup window, print dialog
              wkparkjoe

You can setup e-mail through the server and then setup scripting. There's plenty of documentation on the forum and help system to guide you through using FMS and FM to setup e-mailing. I'm not sure you can PDF through IWP though. Save Records as PDF is greyed out in the scripting for web compatibility.

Is there a way to pop-up a new window (_blank) in IWP and display a specific form (layout)?

• 4. Re: IWP, popup window, print dialog
                carlsson_1

Ah, I understand what you mean. The tricky part is to create the PDF then (it could be done if you mark the record some way, and let a serverside script take care of it. It's doable.)

Regarding the popupwindow the only solution is to take the user to a new page (ie another layout that will act as a dialogue) and then to the original layout again.

IWP is not compatible with the Custom Dialog script step in any way.

HTH