1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 30, 2010 4:07 PM by DickApplebaum

JDBC connection from remote computer

DickApplebaum

Title

JDBC connection from remote computer

Reading the FMP docs I am under the impression that I should be able to access a FMP 11 database with JDBC connection from a remote computer:

Is this true?

I have a setup that works fine over the local WiFi:

DRIVER NAME: fmjdbc.jar

DRIVER CLASS: com.filemaker.jdbc.Driver

JDBC URL:  jdbc:filemaker://10.0.1.2:2399/Product

USER NAME: Admin

PASSWORD: pw

If I use a similar setup, changing only the JDBC URL to use a remote address (below) it fails:

JDBC URL:  jdbc:filemaker://myFMPHost:2399/Product

where myFMPHost is the static address of my FMP database (with all the port mapping correct)

The Error message I get is:

Connection verification failed for data source: Product
      com.filemaker.jdbc.FMSQLException: [FileMaker][FileMaker JDBC] xDBC client must be on the same computer as FileMaker Pro
      The root cause was that: com.filemaker.jdbc.FMSQLException: [FileMaker][FileMaker JDBC] xDBC client must be on the same computer as FileMaker Pro

I can run the same JDBC URL against the same db uploaded to FM Server and it works fine.

So, either:

-- there is a bug in FMP's JDBC implementation

-- the FMP JDBC docs are incorrect

-- FMP does not support JDBC access to a db from a remote URL

Frustrated:  Which is it?

P.S. I was able to do this, several years ago, with an earlier version of FMP (7 or 8, AIR).

• 1. Re: JDBC connection from remote computer
          DickApplebaum

Well, just to close this out!

I contacted support and got a definite answer.

Unfortunately it wasn't the answer I wanted to hear.  The email I got from support says that I am prohibited from publishing it or any content of the email message-- so I can't post the answer for others to see.

Hopefully, someone from Filemaker Support will read this thread and publish the definite answer, so it goes into the knowledge base.