2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2013 3:41 PM by raybaudi

Job and company

AustinEckman

Title

Job and company

Every job is assigned to a company and it needs to be set for each record what calculation can I set so that it gets the company name from the job. These are all stored into a record that is a timepunch that helps store time. I am guessing I have to set up a relationship between jobs, timecards, and companys but im not sure how to have that. For further questions please ask, if this can be done by a calculation that would be best, but relationships work too!

Oah btw one job has one company but a company has many jobs idk if that will help. 

Screen_Shot_2013-08-29_at_5.53.15_PM.png

• 1. Re: Job and company
          philmodjunk

it needs to be set for each record what calculation can I set so that it gets the company name from the job.

What do you mean by "it"? That the company record should get the company name from the job? That seems backwards.

These are all stored into a record that is a timepunch that helps store time.

"These"? A record in what table?

Seems like you need these tables and relationships, but I'm just guessing here:

Companies----<Projects-----<TimeCards

Where there are multiple records in TImeCards recording time worked on a specific project. And each Project is then linked to a specific Company.

But with such a set of tables/relationships, the Company name would be recorded in a field in Companies and then all related Projects and TImeCards records can display that company name. And this would not require any company name field (Neither calculation nor text) in Projects nor in TimeCards.

• 2. Re: Job and company
            raybaudi

It seems simple...

A calculation field into the Jobs table with calc:

Companies::CompanyName

or directly that field in the Jobs layout.