2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 1:10 PM by sccardais

Join Relationship Question

sccardais

Title

Join Relationship Question

I have two tables (Users and Cohorts) connected via a Join table as shown on the attached screenshot.

Users has a unique User_ID field and many other attributes of Users.

Cohorts has a unique Cohort_ID and CohortName.

When Users are chosen for a specific mailing list, I want to create a join record containing their UserID and the Cohort_ID.

I would also like to be able to view all of the Users in a specific Cohort by finding a specific Cohort_ID.I thought I could do this by creating a layout based on the Join and adding a portal to view related Users.

Then, by finding a specific Cohort_ID in the Join table, the portal would display only the Users assigned that specific Cohort_ID in the portal.

That is not happening and I'm not sure why. Can anyone explain this to me?

Join_Relationship_Question.png

• 1. Re: Join Relationship Question
          philmodjunk

Try a list view or table view of your Join table layout and if you include fields from the Users_2 table occurrence on your layout or in your table view, you'll see your list of users for the found cohort.

The issue is that from the context of the Join table to either Users_2 or from the Join to Cohorts, it's a many to one relationship. Any given join record matches to exactly one Users_2 record and to exactly one Cohorts record.

But if you want that portal listing users, put a portal to Users_2 on a layout based on Cohorts and search for a cohort on that layout.

• 2. Re: Join Relationship Question
            sccardais

Phil:

Thank you very much. Your answer makes perfect sense now that you've explained it. 

The issue is that from the context of the Join table to either Users_2 or from the Join to Cohorts, it's a many to one relationship. Any given join record matches to exactly one Users_2 record and to exactly one Cohorts record.

This really helps.