4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2009 11:35 AM by storywizard

join table

storywizard

Title

join table

Hello:

I am building my first database, I have a join table that connects a series of tasks with the person doing the task. I have taskID and personnelID in the join table. I am a little lost as to how I now connect the tasks to the personnel. Do I add fields to the join table? Anyway I will re read the appropriate chapters in the missing manual...

Thanks in advance,

Storywizard

• 1. Re: join table
          philmodjunk

You post doesn't give me enough detail to know if my answer will work. Do you have 2 tables or 3?

If you have one table listing personnel and a second table listing tasks performed by the personnel, you can link the two tables by adding a PersonnelID field to your tasks field. You then create a relationship linking PersonnelTable::PersonnelID to TasksTable:PersonnelID and you are in business. That works for a one person to many tasks relationship.

I suspect though that you also have many personnel that perform the same task. If this is true, you have a many to many relationship. If so, check out the many to many relationship thread created by CarrieB and you'll find a detailed description of how to do this with a third, Join table supplied by TSGal and a different less standard approach by me.

• 2. Re: join table
            storywizard

hmm, did asearch for that thread, could not find it.

I do indeed have many tables, 6 in total, and the join table sits between the tasks and personnel tables. The personnel do more than one task, some tasks have more than one person doing them...

Storywizard

ps: I will look again for that thread

• 3. Re: join table
              philmodjunk

My memory doesn't work as well as my databases :manvery-happy:

Try Many to Many Relationships Author's name is Dinora.

• 4. Re: join table
                storywizard

Well:

I think I am out of my depth, and the place I work does not let me have a quiet space to learn this. Now I am under a timeline to get this database build but I am feeling really stuck. Time for some one on one help...

Storywizard