1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 2, 2013 6:36 AM by philmodjunk

Joining starter solution

keypix

Title

Joining starter solution

Hi, hope someone can guide me with this question ( sorry it's probably very basic)

I am trying to join the 2 starter solutions, Invoices and Contacts, so that I can have many related Contacts for each record in the Invoices solution.  I have placed a foreign key into the Contacts table and joined it to the Primary ID of the Customers table in the Invoice solution.  So far so good, a portal in the Invoices layout allows me to create many related Contacts associated with each Customer record in the Invoices solution. I have also created a link in the Contacts solution so that the Company and Work addresses fields show the corresponding fields from the Invoices solution.

The problem I am trying to understand is how to change or remove the Company that a Contact is related if their circumstances  were to change. At the moment if I try and remove a contact from the portal in the Invoices solution, it deletes the full Customer record and any associated Contacts lose their connection to the company.  In the Contacts solution I am unable to show a drop down list that would allow me to select another company for that Contact to be related to.

If anyone can give me a pointer of how to configure this it would be most appreciated.

thank you 

• 1. Re: Joining starter solution
          philmodjunk

if I try and remove a contact from the portal in the Invoices solution, it deletes the full Customer record and any associated Contacts lose their connection to the company.

Is this a portal to contacts or customer? When defining the relationship linking contacts to customer, did you select a delete option for the relaitonship?

In the Contacts solution I am unable to show a drop down list that would allow me to select another company for that Contact to be related to.

By adding a table occurrence to customer via an external data source in your contacts file, you should be able to set up such an option for re-assigning a contact to a different customer record.