4 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2014 3:20 PM by PatriciaAngelini

Junction Tables - Allowing multiple selections on form

PatriciaAngelini

Title

Junction Tables - Allowing multiple selections on form

Greetings.

I need to be able to show a person having multiple roles in an event. I have a table for guests,roles and a junction table for guestroles. One guest may have multiple roles and one role can be held by multiple people.

I am in the layout stage now and I don't know how people will be able to chose more than one role. I have created a drop down box.

Thank you in advance for your help.

PJ

• 1. Re: Junction Tables - Allowing multiple selections on form
          philmodjunk

It would appear that you have these relationships:

Start with these relationships:

Guests-----<Guest_Role>-----Roles

Guests::__pkGuestID = Guest_Role::_fkGuestID
               Roles::__pkRoleID = Guest_Role::_fkRoleID

Though your field names may differ from mine.

If this is what you have set up, you can place a portal to Guest_Role on the Guests layout to list and select  Roles records for each given Guests record. Fields from Roles can be included in the Portal to show additional info about each selected Roles record and the _fkRoleID field can be set up with a value list for selecting Roles records by their ID field.

In other words, if a guest will be assigned to "RoleA", "RoleB" and "RoleC", you'd use the portal to guest_role and create three records in it--each linked to a different record in Roles.

• 2. Re: Junction Tables - Allowing multiple selections on form
            PatriciaAngelini

Greetings.

Thank you for getting back with me so quickly.

I have a "projects" form in which I would like to put this information. The tables are linked so that part is not a problem. I originally put the guest information in a tab and it is my understanding that I cannot use a portal in that case. Is that correct? I think slides allow portals. Am I correct?

Thank you.

PJ

• 3. Re: Junction Tables - Allowing multiple selections on form
              philmodjunk

Do you mean that you can't put a portal into a Tab control? That's not the case, I do it all the time.

But that might not be what you mean at all. The relationships that you have as well as exactly how you design your layout are all factors in what you can or cannot do here and those details are not clear from your posts thus far.

• 4. Re: Junction Tables - Allowing multiple selections on form
                PatriciaAngelini

I am sorry I am not being clear. I thought I had read that a portal could not be placed into a tab control. Since you stated you have put portals in tabs, I will try that.

The related tables are:

project (parent) 

projectpresenter (junction table)

project

role (one to many relationship that is connected to the guest)