2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2010 8:46 AM by projay

Just some advice

projay

Title

Just some advice

I have one FM 10 PRO ADVANCED and three FM 9 pro's.  I have 4 computers on my network. One being used as a server.  Which one of these computers should I install the FM 10 ADVANCED on? 

...If I edit using FM 10 ADVANCED how will that affect the dbase when I open it on FM PRO 9?

Any suggestions would be great.

Jay.

• 1. Re: Just some advice
          philmodjunk

Install advanced on any computer but the server. Use it as your development system as that's what the added capabilities of advanced are for.

All versions from 7 through 11 use the same file format so you can host a file from any of those versions of FileMaker and any of the other versions can connect to it as a client. In you situation, you'll just need to avoid using 11 to install features, such as filtered portals or charts, that don't work in 10. Note that custom menus and custom functions can be created with advanced and they will work with your regular versions of FileMaker--you just can't use a non-advanced copy of FileMaker to change these menus and/or functions.

• 2. Re: Just some advice
            projay

Thanks for the advice! I am glad I asked that question...my thinking was completely the opposite of your reply.

Jay.