5 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2009 4:26 PM by philmodjunk

Just starting and don't want to make a early error...

kliegl12

Title

Just starting and don't want to make a early error...

Hi All, I am new to FMP and am setting up a new business and wanted some advice. 

I am creating, (manipulating the pre-made contact layout database), a contact DB that will have several hundred to possibly thousands of contacts (records) in them. I want to manage my clients, as well as, when they order from me to have a tab for sales and one for inventory that will be updated automatically when I place the order...

Later down the road I will create invoices and shipping, etc. But organizing my clients is the most important right now.

Should the sales tab and inventory tab be separate databases or should they just be separate Tables within my "Contacts DB"?

The second question which will relate later is, I will have 4 pricing structures, if they are (customers vs. vendors and  in state vs. out of state), for 3 different sizes of my product line. Can I have a set of check boxes that will calculate which pricing table should be used (would this be a portal window in the sales tab)?

The pricing tables may grow as my product lines grow. 

I don't want to limit myself too bad right now, if later down the road I will need to expand, I don't want to have to back track.

I know this is basic stuff, and I appreciate all of your time.

Thanks in advance. 

• 1. Re: Just starting and don't want to make a early error...
          philmodjunk

Hi kliegle12,

Welcome to the forum.

How much experience with designing databases do you have? You may need to invest some time in learing how filemaker works and how to design a database. This forum is a good resource. You may also want to acquire a book and/or some tutorials in order to learn more. In any case, be prepared to invest some time and effort in learning how to do what you want here.

"Should the sales tab and inventory tab be separate databases or should they just be separate Tables within my "Contacts DB"?"

I'd recommend keeping them in the same file. You can put them in separate files, but generally it's better and simpler to keep them all in one file.

With regards to pricing, I'd put all your pricing schedules in a single table and set up the database so that the correct price is looked up from the pricing table for a specific type of customer. An all in one table, is usually much easier to maintain and update--especially if you need to add new pricing schedules in the future.

• 2. Re: Just starting and don't want to make a early error...
            kliegl12

Thanks for the quick response. I am very new to filemaker and databases, but the more I do the tutorials and the more I learn the better I feel about this. Actually I can't believe I wasn't using this before.... 

Thanks for the advice, I will keep the inventory and sales sheets within my contact file...

Is there any limits to the size of the files? Can they get too large?  (or would this make searches run slower?)

If it matters I'm on a MAC with plenty of RAM...

I guess that would be my main concern (down the road) with keeping everything in one file....

This forum has been great for figuring out what approach I should take. Thanks again, wish me luck...  or I may be back on here harassing you fine folks....  

• 3. Re: Just starting and don't want to make a early error...
              philmodjunk

kliegl12 wrote:

"Is there any limits to the size of the files? Can they get too large?  (or would this make searches run slower?)"

One of my files is approaching 3 gigabytes in size and it works ok. I think you'll have to really work at things to get a file that is "too big". It is true that larger files take a little longer to search, but there are many other issues that are more likely to significantly affect search response times.

"or I may be back on here harassing you fine folks....  

It's not harrassment, speaking for myself only, this is something I do for fun.

• 4. Re: Just starting and don't want to make a early error...
                kliegl12

Well thanks again I'm ready to move forward on this.

Oh and by the way, if this is fun for you, I can't wait until I get "good enough" to start really enjoying this.

• 5. Re: Just starting and don't want to make a early error...
                  philmodjunk
                     Just remember that there are two completely different definitions of the word "fun". :smileywink: