9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2009 9:49 AM by mif

Keep getting kicked off from Host

mif

Title

Keep getting kicked off from Host

Setup:

iMac running FM10, Filemaker Networking turned on, ports opened, static IP. 

One of our two offices keeps loosing their connection to the host and data entered is lost.  While speaking with this office, they lost their connection but I didn't. They have been running fine for months.  This just started happening in the last few weeks.  Users say that when they see the spinning wheel they usually expect to get kicked off.

• 1. Re: Keep getting kicked off from Host
          davidanders

Remote access across internet?

Second office has multiple machines? They all lose connection at the same time? 

Time of day it happens or random? Day of week more problematic? 

Internet Service Provider problem?

Speed of internet access can be tested at www.speedtest.net 

Database has changed recently? Large graphics added, for instance?

Can you test from another location? Your home, for instance. 

• 2. Re: Keep getting kicked off from Host
            mif

Thanks for your response, 

Yes, across internet.  Second office (North Office) has just brought in a notebook so we can see if both are affected at the same time.  Also both opened a second file (testfile) to see if they lose it as well.

Time of day - Random - not enough data to know time of week for sure but seems random as well

What kind of ISP problems would contribute to this?

No major changes recently.

Here are the speed test results as well as well as a few other notes

Main office -  - down 8.32, up 0.68 (iMac on OS 10.5.8)

North office -   - wired PC running XP pro V2002 -  down 28.54, upload 5.54 - random disconects 1 per hour on average

- wireless mac - download .81 , upload 5.2

- about an hour ago, both Mac and Pc dropped but they didn't know if it was exactly the same time 

My office - down 2.54, Upload .65  - I have tested from here and got dropped once today

- (running Macbook Pro - OS 10.5.8) 

Could the main office speeds be causing a problem here? If not, what other things can I check on the main office iMac?

Thanks in advance 

• 3. Re: Keep getting kicked off from Host
              philmodjunk
                 Hate to ask the obvious, but this isn't a case of the users being dropped after the "On idle" time limit has expired is it?
              • 4. Re: Keep getting kicked off from Host
                mif
                   Fair question, but this is hosted from FM directly, not FM server.  Is there any setting similar in FM pro?
                • 5. Re: Keep getting kicked off from Host
                  philmodjunk

Everlearning wrote:
                  Fair question, but this is hosted from FM directly, not FM server.  Is there any setting similar in FM pro?

Yes. Under Sharing | Instant Web Publishing, click the Advanced Options, Specify... button.

You'll find a "disconnect inactive accounts after ____ minutes" option.

• 6. Re: Keep getting kicked off from Host
                    davidanders

Are you using Filemaker on the remote computers to access the database?

Or a web browser - with IWP? 

• 7. Re: Keep getting kicked off from Host
                      mif
                         Yes, each computer has a copy.  Not using IWP.
                      • 8. Re: Keep getting kicked off from Host
                        philmodjunk
                           In Accounts and Privileges, there's a setting that can be selected for a given privilege set: Disconnect from Filemaker Server when Idle. Don't know for sure if that applies to FMP hosted (as apposed to FMS hosted) files, but I'd take a look and see if that option has been selected for the users who are being disconnected.
                        • 9. Re: Keep getting kicked off from Host
                          mif

Good point.  I checked and there was one privledge set that was checked but no correlation to who was getting kicked off.  As of this morning, it seems to be random.  Office 1 has been kicked off from a Macbook, and two hours later the PC was dropped.  I'm at another location on a Macbook and haven't been dropped at all.

Other changes:

a/ one of the layouts was using table view to display 3500 +/- records and I noticed there were a few calculation fields, which I removed.  I also went through the tables and removed any unnecessary indexing on fields.  As would be expected, performance has improved and drop off reduced slightly. (I wonder if the increased load was triggering problems)

I read that the server speed and duplex settings between computer, router and switch need to be sync'd and that this could otherwise cause network errors.  I have a network guy going in there tomorrow to check this out.  Otherwise I am still at a loss here and would appreciate any other ideas.