8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2014 1:02 PM by Jade

Keep new window in foreground

lijnbach

Title

Keep new window in foreground

Based on an open lay out, I open a second lay out in a new window. (Using GoTo Related records). Everything is working fine, but I want the new window to stay at the foreground. 

I use the second lay out in a new window, because the user needs to see where he/she is coming from. (The user needs to see both lay outs). But I don't want the new window to disappear when the user is clicking somewhere on the screen, or takes other steps. I did not use the portal function because the portal has less functionality. (And there is not enough space).

The second lay out on the foreground just contains information and the possibility to add information. I tried to do something with "freeze window", but that did not work out. (Or I am doing something wrong). I know that e.g. Oracle and Access have a kind of a "pop up" function for a lay out, so this lay out always stays at the foreground, until it is closed.

Is this possible? Or is there another way to have two lay outs at the same time (and see them both) and keep one of them in foreground until it is closed.

Thanks,

Hans Lijnbach

• 1. Re: Keep new window in foreground
          Jade

Hi Hans,

In the "New Window" script step, you can specify advanced window styles.  One of these styles is "Floating Document Window".  If I understand your requirements, this should do the trick.

• 2. Re: Keep new window in foreground
            lijnbach

Hi Jade,

Thanks for your response, that is the option I needed.

The reason why I did not found it, is because of our translations. If we order FMP we automatically get the Dutch version, and al steps (also script steps) are translated in Dutch. And although Dutch is my native language, I grew up with the English terms for information technology. So, sometimes these translations are confusing me.

Thanks a lot for your effort.

Hans.

• 3. Re: Keep new window in foreground
              lijnbach

Hi Jade,

Sorry to interrupt again. It works, but...!!

I made a mistake in de the script, when I open de database, the script keeps on openen a new window in floating mode. Because of that I can not get in the "lay out" mode to get to the script. Do you know a way te get in the lay out mode when FMP is constantly opening a window in floating mode.

Thanks,

Hans

• 4. Re: Keep new window in foreground
                Jade

Hi Hans,

Do you have FileMaker Pro Advanced or FileMaker Pro?  What version?  What operating system?

• 5. Re: Keep new window in foreground
                  lijnbach

Hi Jade,

I have Filemaker Pro 13.0v1 and OSX 10.9.2 / MacBook Pro Retina

Hans

• 6. Re: Keep new window in foreground
                    Jade

There are a few things we can try.  

Look through the list below and decide which one you want to try first:

1. How old is your latest backup?  You may have a fairly recent backup of your_solution.fmp12 file on TimeMachine.

2. I'm not sure if this will work in your case, but you can create a new file ("A.fmp12").  All it does is call a script to Open File[ your_solution.fmp12].  Open A.fmp12 first and then go into Layout mode after it opens your_solution.fmp12

3. Does your solution file contain any confidential information?  Can you share your solution file with me?  I have FMP Advanced 13.0v1 on OS X 10.9.2 and can probably use the script debugger in FMPA to stop the runaway script.

• 7. Re: Keep new window in foreground
                      lijnbach

Hi Jade,

I already tried option 2. This script is not working in this case.

Option 3. Normally I have no problem sharing my data, but in this case it are employee files with all the salaries and all the tax information.

Option 1. My latest backup is from this afternoon 15.00 hours. I will use the backup, it will cost me not more than one hour extra work.

But, I already found out it is better to upgrade to the Advanced version, I already had a problem with scripts before, and the script debugger is a wonderful tool. 

In this case it is my own stupidity, I forgot to remove a scriptstap and the the script became in an endless loop. Normally no problem, but with a floating window this became a problem.

Thanks for your support.

Hans

• 8. Re: Keep new window in foreground
                        Jade

You're welcome, Hans.

I highly recommend the Advanced version if you develop even occassionally.  The debugger and data viewer save a lot of time and aggravation and the Database Design Report is invaluable.

Good luck!