2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2014 5:41 AM by RandyLimbird

Keeping formatted text for use in Word

RandyLimbird

Title

Keeping formatted text for use in Word

I've seen this question raised in other posts, but it's never really been answered. I use an old version (FM6) of Filemaker to maintain blocks of text that I later transfer to Word documents which in turn are later imported into a publishing program. All my text includes formatting that needs to remain intact. The solution I've used for many, many years is a script that block-saves the text from each file and drops it into a Word doc (which are later imported into Quark).  The script combined Apple and Filemaker scripts. Later changes in OS versions rendered the script obsolete. So I maintained one old computer that I could run the script on. That computer finally died so now I need to re-write the script, if possible, using up to date versions of FM, Apple OS and Word. But I hate to re-invent the wheel once again (it took me forever the first time to figure it out). Does anyone know of such a script?

I realize that there are other workarounds, but I really prefer the paste-and-copy technique. My database contains over 7,000 files so there's no way I am going to  encode them differently. I just want to figure out how to update the script I've been using. All I need is a script that will do automatically what I can easily do by rote with manual keystrokes. Maybe it won't be that hard for re-write the script with current OS and software versions, but this is the only time I ever have a need for any kind of script, so it's all foreign territory to me.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Keeping formatted text for use in Word
          philmodjunk

Perhaps you don't need that applescript at all. With export records, you have the option to use the current layout's data formatting so you might try exporting to a text file that you then open in MS Word. There's even a merge file option specifically set up for use with MS Word, but it was intended to produce Word formatted form letters so that may not serve any useful purpose for your project.

• 2. Re: Keeping formatted text for use in Word
            RandyLimbird

Unfortunately, the "current layout's data formatting" does not refer to text formatting such as bold, underline, etc. From my research, Filemaker has never been able to export text and retain such formatting, although you can copy and paste text and retain this formatting. That's why I need to write a script that will do that automatically for a selection of records.