3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2015 12:27 PM by philmodjunk

Keeping track of Modifications to records

bk1

Title

Keeping track of Modifications to records

Is there a way to prevent the modified date from updating automatically when replacing field contents in a found set of records? If that won't work, what would be the best way of keeping track of when an individual record was accessed?

• 1. Re: Keeping track of Modifications to records
          philmodjunk

One way would be to put the field or fields that you update via replace field contents in a separate related record so that editing other fields still update the modification date but not the one that you update in this fashion.

There are also a number of methods offered for setting up an audit trail on a table such that each change to each field is individually tracked.

And please note that someone could "access" a record without actually modifying it. You might track all cases where a user simply makes the record the current record on their layout using a script performed by the OnRecordLoad trigger. An OnRecordCommit Trigger might be used to log when a record is modified via a script and then you can set the script up to do nothing when a global variable is set to a particular value. Then you can use a script to set that variable, replace field contents and then return the variable to its original value as a way to modify the records via a script without logging this as an "edit" of the individual records.

• 2. Re: Keeping track of Modifications to records
            bk1

Thanks. Could you point me in the right direction to get me started on "methods offered for setting up an audit trail on a table such that each change to each field is individually tracked"?

• 3. Re: Keeping track of Modifications to records
              philmodjunk

Unless you are up for a fairly involved bit of scripting and setting up script triggers on every field, you may want to web search using a phrase such as "FileMaker Audit Trail" to see what is found. I believe there are several third party produced solutions out there that you can investigate.