AnsweredAssumed Answered

Key field -- adding new numbers when I imported the first set from an Excel database

Question asked by FlorenceMiller on Oct 23, 2012
Latest reply on Oct 24, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Key field -- adding new numbers when I imported the first set from an Excel database

I have imported membership and event attendance data from an Excel spreadsheet and now that I'm set up in FM Pro, I'm trying to add new events, abandoning the old Excel spreadsheet. I have three related tables: Members (with MemberIDs, names, affiliations, etc.), Events (with EventIDs, topics, etc) and Event Attendance (with MemberIDs, member names, EventIDs, etc., to show who was at which event). The Event Attendance table links the Members table with the Events table.

I can't figure out how to do a couple of things:

1) When I add a new event, FM automatically gives it an EventID that is much higher than the highest one already in the database. As the original field was drawing from an Excel spreadsheet, I can't figure out how to turn it into a key field with an auto-enter serial number that just builds off the last number in the database. Can anyone tell me how to do that?

2) I can't figure out the easiest way to enter attendees at recent events. If I try to add them into the Event Attendance table using just their names, it does not automatically pull their MemberIDs but creates new MemberIDs for them. How can I tell FM to pull the MemberID that is already in the database?

Thanks very much for any advice. I know this is Filemaker Pro and I'm not remotely Pro.

Outcomes