1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 21, 2011 12:18 PM by philmodjunk

Key Record Selected from within portal?

ericjlindholm

Title

Key Record Selected from within portal?

I am making an event management database.  In my "event details" form, I want to display records from my "customer" table using a portal.  

Right now, I need a field in my "event details" form/table that is related to a field in my "customer" table.  I call it "company name" in both the "event details" form/table and the "customer" table (i do not use a customer ID number field because my company only has a few customers that we refer to by name).  

I also want to be able to add to the "customer" table from the "event details" form/table (which i know how to do).  To do this completely, I need to display the field "company name" from the customer table so new "customer" records can be created from the "event details" form.  Having the related field "company name" and the "company name" from the table looks redundant and confusing to my user.  

Is there any way to display a single reference in a portal by selecting the first field in that table from a drop down list?

Thank you for your time.  

• 1. Re: Key Record Selected from within portal?
          philmodjunk

(i do not use a customer ID number field because my company only has a few customers that we refer to by name).  

I still recommend an ID number field. What will you do if one of your companies changes its name?

You don't have to put either company field inside the portal.

If you have this relationship:

Event Details::CompanyName = Customers::CompanyName

Then when you select or enter a company name in Event Details::Company name, any related recors in Customers will automatically appear in the portal.

If you want to create new customer records in this portal, enable "allow creations of records via this relationship". THen your user can enter a company name and when they start to enter data into the blank bottom row of your portal, a new record will be created and the name in Event Deatails::Comapany Name will automatically be entered into Customers::CompanyName of this new record.