3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2009 7:34 PM by TKnTexas

Key same as my spreadsheet

TKnTexas

Title

Key same as my spreadsheet

I have an application I have developed over the years, used as a runtime.  It tracks my utilities and related expenses.  I preprocess here before uploading to the AP system for bill payment.

As I am keying amounts to a particular GL code, water vs sewer, is there a way to enter multiple numbers.  Currently if the invoice list two lines for water I enter two lines for water, and then whatever else. 

After I key in the GL code for water, in the amount field is there some way I can key 12+8 and get the 20?  I tried using Evaluate and a script-trigger.  But either FMPro 10a can't do it, or more likely I can't write the script.

• 1. Re: Key same as my spreadsheet
          TSGal

TKnTexas:

Thank you for your post.

In the Fields tab of "Manage -> Database...", select your "Amount" field and click on "Options...".  Click on the "Auto-Enter" tab (if not already selected), and put a check mark next to "Calculated Value".  This brings up the "Specify Calculation" dialog box.  Assuming your field name is "Amount", enter the calculation:

Evaluate ( Amount )

... and click OK.

Just below checked "Calculated Value", be sure to uncheck "Do not replace existing value of field (if any) ".

Click "OK" a couple of times and return to Browse Mode.

If you now enter: 2 + 8

and press tab, the field will evaluate and now display 10.

Please let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Key same as my spreadsheet
            TKnTexas
               I will try that this afternoon.  I have found a number of places where this will be a plus to the data entry.  Thank you for the response.  I will post back how it works for me.
            • 3. Re: Key same as my spreadsheet
              TKnTexas
                 Shades of highschool geometry.  I was so overthinking the solution to this one.  So simple... Thanks TSGal