4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2015 10:18 AM by SteveMartino

Keyboard shortcuts for first 10 scripts

FilmUser

Title

Keyboard shortcuts for first 10 scripts

FMAdvanced 13, Windows 7 Enterprise

How can I get rid of the default keyboard commands for the first 10 scripts? (Aside from creating 10 innocuous scripts for them to attach themselves to.)

I have a feeling this is going to be easier than I think, but I can't figure it out, especially since they aren't attached to actual scripts, just the first 10 in the list.

• 1. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for first 10 scripts
          SteveMartino

Uncheck them in the Manage Scripts... dialog box?  Most people don't leave scripts checked so they can be run from the dropdown menu.  The script can be run from the wrong context and really make a mess of things.

Some people will leave them in in custom menus where they can be sure they only show on the proper layout, and thus will be run from the proper context

• 2. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for first 10 scripts
            RickWhitelaw

Steve, the only issue with not including scripts in the script menu comes up with Filemaker Go. The scripts must be included in the menu to be available in FMGo.

• 3. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for first 10 scripts
              FilmUser

Thanks both for your responses.

Rick - FMGo not an issue here - but - the scripts are being activated by the default keyboard commands, so not being visible won't help, if I'm reading this right. It's the default key board shortcuts that are in the first 10 scripts, viewable only (that I can find) in the script pulldown from the menu bar, which doesn't allow me to defeat them.

I wound up just creating 10 scripts which show a custom message with an ok button to resume work, and moved them to the top of the script list, to attach them to the shortcuts.

I'm embarrassed to have discovered this by having a delete record script as the second script in the list (part of a larger refresh script), so I had to restore a table today. All went well, but lesson learned.

• 4. Re: Keyboard shortcuts for first 10 scripts
                SteveMartino

Unless you are using custom menus, if you uncheck all the scripts, like I mentioned in my first post, then hitting Ctrl + 1, etc., wont activate any scripts.

@Rick good point about scripts & Go

Instead of creating 10 scripts, you could've put 10 line separators at the top and checked them