3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 11:56 AM by philmodjunk

Keyword search in a field (match any words)

SivaRaja

Title

Keyword search in a field (match any words)

Hi

I have two tables, one containing list of softwares. (Table:Softwares)

And other containing customers terminal profile.(Table:CustProfile)

I want to search any matching keywords from CustProfile.field1 to any word in Softwares.field5

For ex

Softwares table has a field "supported operating systems". which contains comma separated items

of supported OSes. ( like "Linux,Solaris,Mac,Win7,Win-Xp" etc)

Customer profile table will contain a field containing a list of terminals he/she  has used so for to access.

(like "Win7, Android"   or "Mac,iPhone" )

From customer's listing I want to find all the Softwares that are supported for each of his OSplatform and show together in result.

I want the loop and extended find performing script. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Keyword search in a field (match any words)
          philmodjunk

Using a related table with one record for each such value is often the better/more flexible option--It sounds like such a join table might be useful here, but if you define calculation fields with this calculation:

Substitute ( YourFieldHere ; ", " ; ¶ )

You can turn your comma separated list into a return separated list. A relationship where both match fields are return separated lists of values will match records if any one listed value in one match field matches at least one listed value in the other.

• 2. Re: Keyword search in a field (match any words)
            SivaRaja

Hi, Now I got a return separated List.

Now How do I perform the search from the script.

Any one word match from the "return separated list" will do.

I want to combine the search results for each word with "Expand Find" using script.

• 3. Re: Keyword search in a field (match any words)
              philmodjunk

The key is in the relationship.

If you have this relationship:

Table1::ListofValueField = Table2::SingleValueField

or you have

Table1::ListofValueField = Table2::ListofValuesField

A portal to Table 2 placed on the Table1 layout will list all records where at least one value in Table1::ListofValueField matches to at least one value in the match field of the related table.

And you can also use Go to Related Records to go to and pull up a list of related records in Table 2.

But now you have said:

I want to combine the search results for each word with "Expand Find" using script.

More and more, I think you need to get rid of the list of names in a single field and set up a join table with one value in each related record in stead.