3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2009 10:43 AM by LaRetta_1

Kicking campers off records?

etripoli

Title

Kicking campers off records?

You know, you edit a calculation field in a database, hosted on FMS, and inevitably, someone is 'camping' in a record - either in find mode, or just has a field selected - and you can't commit the schema changes until they finish.  Problem is, you're working afterhours, and the user has left for the day.

How do you all deal with these 'campers'?  I'd like to hear FM9 and FM10 solutions, if you have any.

• 1. Re: Kicking campers off records?
          LaRetta_1
             You can use the Admin console to disconnect all users (even giving them a message first to be nice).  If you wish to ensure they stay out, change the number of users to 1 (you) while you work.
          • 2. Re: Kicking campers off records?
            etripoli
               I try to kick the users out via Apple Remote Desktop, but if, for whatever reason, that doesn't work, kicking them out via the Admin console is the next step.  I guess I just wishfully thinking that there is a more automatic way to kick people out.  Best idea I've had is to use a timer in FMP10 to 'commit records'.
            • 3. Re: Kicking campers off records?
              LaRetta_1

"Best idea I've had is to use a timer in FMP10 to 'commit records'. "

I suppose.  But I would be very hesitant to grab control of a User's record unless you were sure they were gone.  At least when you kick them out using Admin, you can send a message warning them in case someone is working late.  I can envision a User working on a table layout with sorted records.  They make a change and your auto script commits the record and (thanks to FMs new ridiculous behavior of sorting), the record disappears before they finish it.  They may never find it again.  At least if THEY commit the record themselves, it'll be THEIR doing.

Anyway, I'd just be nervous controlling them in this way.  I would rather send them a nice message and then disconnect them gently.:smileyhappy: