3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2014 9:14 AM by philmodjunk

kind of a backup solution

Gilo

Title

kind of a backup solution

Hi

Is there a way to "backup" a record inside filemaker? I don't want to lose a record, I simply don't want to see it. But with exclude + script does not seem the perfect solution for me. Is there another way? Coping it into a backup table for ex. is this possible?

Or is there another solution? 

• 1. Re: kind of a backup solution
          philmodjunk

Is there a way to "backup" a record inside filemaker?

doesn't seem to be the same thing as:

I don't want to lose a record, I simply don't want to see it.

Do you want to make a back up copy of the record? That can be done by importing the record into another table--even the table of another file. And you can also duplicate the record in the current table and then take steps to "hide" the duplicated copy from view.

Relationships, custom menus, portal filters, find criteria, script triggers that constrain found sets, even record level access control can be used to "hide" records from the user so that they can't see the record.

• 2. Re: kind of a backup solution
            Gilo

Well ok, my explanation wasn't that good :-)

How do i import a record into another table?

• 3. Re: kind of a backup solution
              philmodjunk

Use Import Records from either the File menu or as a step in a script. You import from table to table inside the same file exactly like you do for importing from a table in one file into a table in a different file. You just select the file that you already have open when the dialog pops up for you to select the file from which you want to import records.