5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2010 2:24 PM by philmodjunk

Known bugs or my code?

Frinholp

Title

Known bugs or my code?

I have a created a script that is triggered by a button press which opens a new window, arranges all windows (only two windows, the main window and new window open at this point) tiled vertically then selects the main window.

The window that opens contains a log for the current record in the main window. If left open, whilst editing the record in the main window the changes are reflected in the log window but occasionally both windows freeze and filemaker has to be terminated by the system. I cannot see a pattern as to when this error occurs. It seems to be random 

Is this a known bug or my code? Do I need to freeze a window whilst another is edited? I am a little lost on this one. 

I have hidden the status bar and scripted most of its functionality myself. However, if a sort or search has been performed and a new record is created without unsorting the records or refreshing the records (show all records), records get created without coresponding related records which should be created by script. This results in fields that are usually are auto-filled are given a null value.

Now for the strange part, these newly created records can be navigated through and all existing records dissapear. These records do not seem to really exist in my database. If I 'show all records' the new corrupt records are gone, as if they were just held in memory and not saved to disk and my old records return???

Seems I have mentioned my log above I have another question. Obviously a log can get pretty large over time on consistently changing data therefore I require a scroll bar on the log field. Is there anyway to show the scroll without that field being active?

Thanks in advance

Lee

• 1. Re: Known bugs or my code?
          philmodjunk

Sounds like your file may be damaged. Try recovering it to see if any problems get found and fixed and test the recovered copy to see if it behaves differently. If it turns out your file was damaged, best practice is to replace it with an undamaged back up copy instead of using the recovered copy.

If you want to enagle a scroll bar on a text field without allowing it to editable, you can set up a calculation field that copies the value of this field and put it on your layout with the scroll bar option selected--though better design would be to break up your log entries into separate records in a related table instead putting so much data into the field that you need to scroll it.

• 2. Re: Known bugs or my code?
            Frinholp

Thanks Phil.

No problems detected.

Output:

0 Recover built a new database without detecting any problems.  It would be safest to copy only the most recent work from the recovered file into a backup copy of the original file, instead of using the recovered file going forward.
            0 Note: Recover only checks the data blocks of the file and generates a new file from that data.  The Consistency Check checks all blocks of the file, and may find more problems in the original file than Recover does.
            0 File blocks: scanned and rebuilt 1055 block(s), dropped 0 invalid data block(s)
            0 Schema: scanned fields and tables; no problems found
            0 Structure: scanned; 0 item(s) modified
            0 File size after recovery is 4345856 bytes

• 3. Re: Known bugs or my code?
              philmodjunk

But did you test the recovered copy? Sometimes it "fixes" a problem without reporting it--particularly if rebuilding an index solved the problem.

• 4. Re: Known bugs or my code?
                Frinholp

if a sort or search has been performed and a new record is created without unsorting the records or refreshing the records (show all records), records get created without coresponding related records which should be created by script. This results in fields that are usually are auto-filled are given a null value.

My bad! Never switched back to browse mode on one of my my layouts and tried creating and commiting an new record.

Concerning the frozen windows, I have tried testing the the recovery file and can't get it to crash out. So seems to be fixed. However this problem only happens once in a blue moon anyway.

Another point is that I'm developing on a windows machine and have never experienced the problem.

The solution is to be run and is being tested on a mac. It is this machine where the crashes have occured so far. I am developing in FM Pro Advanced 10 but the solution is being tested in FM Pro 11.

• 5. Re: Known bugs or my code?
                  philmodjunk

You might save a clone of your original file and import your data into it and test. If a rebuilt index is fixing the problem, this file, which hasn't been recovered, may also work for you.