10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2013 4:33 PM by philmodjunk

Label Counter

StuckAgain

Title

Label Counter & Check Duplicates Still Not Working

The previous thread got too long.  I spent 8+ hours last night finally getting all the field data to display, except the problem remains that when there are multiple rows of data, multiple labels still get printed instead of only one label based upon the 'Callsign" field.  I have both the 'Counter' and 'CheckDuplicates' fields ON the label layout.  The Counter is working fine and the CheckDuplicates calculation is exactly the same as what used to work but with the new Table name substituted.

Reference the attached screenshot from the Preview Mode, I need to get only ONE label printed for Callsign 'K5D' instead of the 3 that show in Preview but that isn't happening.  I still get duplicate labels (as many as there are rows of data).

Hopefully an FMP Tech Guru lurking here can solve the problem (which is what it took 5 years ago).  FMP v8.0 Advanced.

Thank you.

Stuck Again

zlabeltoprevised.jpg

• 1. Re: Label Counter & Check Duplicates Still Not Working
          philmodjunk

We need to see more than the layout. What relationships etc do you have in place?

• 2. Re: Label Counter & Check Duplicates Still Not Working
            StuckAgain

>We need to see more than the layout. What relationships etc do you have in place?

I can only post one screenshot per post - relationships screenshot posted in previous lengthy thread:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/9c03a0374b

>Did you create qsoslabels 2 on the relationships tab or on the tables tab?

The relationships tab

>On the layout where you tried to set up the portal, what do you see in Layout Setup... | "Show Records From" ?

qsos2labels

Every config / setting I can see is an exact clone of the previous file which did work correctly.  It is beyond Mind Boggling ;-(

Per attached screenshot, the Sort Records in Preview Mode is the same (Callsign without the leading :: marks and all the relevent fields with :: at the beginning of the field names).

When I did a "Select All" on the label layout in Layout Mode, in the old file there seems to be *something* that is blank and can not figure out anyway to identify it (not a Portal).  This is too weird.

All that needs to be done is to print ONE label PER CALLSIGN, regardless of how many field rows of "QSO" data are on it.  I tried another Ham-Radio specific label program as a possible solution, but it will not accept my Date format of DD MM YYYY which FMP does.

Thank you.

Stuck Again

• 3. Re: Label Counter & Check Duplicates Still Not Working
              philmodjunk

I have posted a reponse to the other thread.

• 4. Re: Label Counter & Check Duplicates Still Not Working
                StuckAgain

FYI, on the Sort Records Drop Down list, I also both the qsos2labels and qsos2labels 2 options, but got the same undesired multiple labels per Callsign results.

Stuck Again

• 5. Re: Label Counter & Check Duplicates Still Not Working
                  philmodjunk

See your original thread where most of the needed info is already there. I've asked a key question about your layout. Your answer will likely review why you cannot select either table occurrence for your portal.

• 6. Re: Label Counter & Check Duplicates Still Not Working
                    StuckAgain

Do you want me to send you the file?  It's only 124KB.

• 7. Re: Label Counter & Check Duplicates Still Not Working
                      StuckAgain

>See your original thread where most of the needed info is already there.

>I've asked a key question about your layout. Your answer will likely review

>why you cannot select either table occurrence for your portal.

Those issues were resolved after hours of fiddling, and the fields were selectable from qsos2labels 2 on the Portal Setup dialog/window.

Thanks.

Stuck Again

• 8. Re: Label Counter & Check Duplicates Still Not Working
                        StuckAgain

Umh, the one salient thing I did remember about when the Tech Guru at FMP finally got things to work, was that a "Counter" field needed to be created, AND, placed ON the label form in Layout Mode.   The Counter is functioning properly.  I reset it several times before re-importing the small .csv data file, and double checked it.  Actually, now that I recall, the original solution was done by FMP (via the Head of Customer Service) in 2006.  Time sure flies, but did not have a need to use FMP again for labels until now.  I also tried putting the Counter field in the Portal area and outside of it on the label (where it is now), but neither way worked.  Baffling.

Stuck Again.

• 9. Re: Label Counter & Check Duplicates Still Not Working
                          StuckAgain

FYI, I also tried using Find and Omitting Duplicate (!) records with the same "Counter" serial number, and then Sorting those records.  That did not work either.  I seem to recall the FMP Tech Guru solution being an "Undocumented" fix.

Stuck Again

• 10. Re: Label Counter & Check Duplicates Still Not Working
                            philmodjunk

On a layout based on qsos2labels you cannot place a portal to qsos2labels, only to table occurrences related to qsos2labels.

Clearly, you have at least one more table occurrence, named WIP, as this shows in one of your screen shots.

Here's a very simple way to get a table where there is only one record for each callsign value:

Take either the existing table and delete all records from it or create a new table with the same fields, go to Manage | Database | fields and double click the call sign field definition to open field options. Click the validation tab and specify "unique values" and "validate always".

Now import your data into this new, empty table. The validation rule will filter out records with duplicate call sign values so that you only get one record for each call sign.