1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 16, 2014 1:39 PM by philmodjunk

Layout buttons based on table / records

Title

Layout buttons based on table / records

Hi All,

I Have database used by people from different working groups. I would like to set welcome layout when user first click his group then go to second layout when all buttons are signed with usernames of users from selected group.

Here comes problem: both amounts: of groups and users changes over time so I can not just create constant amount of buttons - it have to change when user become past user or new one will come.

Two related tables of groups and users are created.

Group A (Active - Yes)

User 1 Active? Yes
           User 2 Active? Yes
           User 3 Active? No
           User 4 Active? Yes
           User 5 Active? Yes

Group B (Active - No)

User 1 Active? No
           User 2 Active? No
           User 3 Active? No

Group C (Active - Yes)

User 1 Active? No
           User 2 Active? Yes
           User 3 Active? No
           User 4 Active? Yes

Welcome screen would be:

select your group:

Group A  |   Group C

After selection next layout:

Select your username:

User 2  Name    |   User 4 Name

I know how to do it with dropdown list or portal but I need to do it with buttons.

If anyone can help I would be thankfull.

Using FM13.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Layout buttons based on table / records
          philmodjunk

before you think in terms of buttons and layouts, think in terms of records in tables. With the correct data model, a single button in a list view of many records can serve to perform the script that "checks in" the user and then checks to see if all group members are no present in order to change layouts if that proves to be the case.

Group membership could be a one to many relationship, one group to many members. Or it could be a many to many relationship where a user can be a member of more than one group even as a group lists many members.

For now, I will assume the simpler one group to many users relationship. If this should be a many to many relationship, we can add in the needed changes later.

Start with two tables:

Groups-----<Users
               Groups::__pkGroupID = Users::_fkGroupID

A portal to users on the groups layout can be used to list all users that are members of a given group. On a users layout, the _fkGroupID field can be formatted with a value list for selecting the group to which you want to assign that member.

This will allow you to set up either a list view layout based on Groups with portals listing the users assigned to each group or a list view layout based on Users with sub summary layout parts including fields from groups to show the names or IDs of each group. A button in the portal row or a button if using portals or a button in the body if you use the second options can perform a script to "check in" a group member:

Set Field [Users::checkIn ; 1 ]
               If [Groups::MemberCount = Groups::CheckIN ]
                  Go to Layout [
               End IF

Groups::MemberCount would be a calculation field defined as:

Count ( Users::_fkGroupID )

Groups::CheckIn would be a calculation field defined as:;

Sum ( Users::CheckIn )