1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 10:13 AM by philmodjunk

Layout Challenge

johnw54

Title

Layout Challenge

Is there anyway to create a screen layout for thumbnails like the image attached.   I know you can create a layout to print this way.

Thumbnail.jpg

• 1. Re: Layout Challenge
          philmodjunk

There are two basic options:

Put each image in a different container field and arrange the images in a grid--not how I would do it as it's not very flexible.

Put the images in a table of related records--I think you have that now, and then use a grid of one row portals to display the related records with a container and text field in each single row portal. Set the first portal with "initial row 1", the second with "initial row 2" and so forth.

• 2. Re: Layout Challenge
            johnw54

I must be doing something wrong.  Created a layout based upon main table. Created portal using data from related table which is where the photo is.  Created 2    1 row portals in the body.  I need 3 different images accross.  1st portal is initial row 1, 2nd portal is inital row 2

• 3. Re: Layout Challenge
              philmodjunk

How many container fields are you putting in each portal row? It looks like you have three copies of the same field in one row of one portal. Make that one container field to a portal and it should work for you.

• 4. Re: Layout Challenge
                johnw54

Now with 1 container field in 2 different portal rows.

• 5. Re: Layout Challenge
                  philmodjunk

Yes, but shrink your portal down to something more like a square and put several portals side by side.

• 6. Re: Layout Challenge
                    johnw54

This now has 3 portals side by side. initail rows 1, 2 and 3.      1 row each

• 7. Re: Layout Challenge
                      philmodjunk

What does this look like in layout mode?

From here it looks like there is no field in the 2nd and third columns of portals, but that's just a guess on my part.

The portal should be arranged like this: (Each item in [brackets] is one portal)

[Initial Row 1] [Initial row 2] [Initial row 3]
                           [Initial Row 4] [Initial row 5 ] [Initial row 6]
                           and so forth...

• 8. Re: Layout Challenge
                        johnw54

Here's a shot of layout and screen

• 9. Re: Layout Challenge
                          johnw54

showing you the portal setup for portal 3

• 10. Re: Layout Challenge
                            philmodjunk

This doesn't appear to match my recommended pattern for the arrangement of your portals.

[Initial Row 1] [Initial row 2] [Initial row 3]
                                 [Initial Row 4] [Initial row 5 ] [Initial row 6]

Is this a list view layout where each row is a different record? That's not what I had in mind, but may be workable depending on the results that you are after.

Also as a test, if you give the portal here a scroll bar, can you scroll the portal and see all the images or just one image? If you can't scroll the portal to see the other images, there's an issue with your portal that suggests the wrong relationship is being used for your portal.

• 11. Re: Layout Challenge
                              johnw54

What I need is to show all 250 style thumbnails.  In using the starter apps each style or record is 1 up all the way across the screen and you scroll to view the next record and so on.  I'm trying to give the client a view of say 6 styles and let them scroll up or down to see more styles.  When they see what they want they click on it and go.  It's less scrolling that way.

• 12. Re: Layout Challenge
                                philmodjunk

Which is what I understood you to want basically, but 250 "style thumbnails" as related to what?

If you take the left most portal and give it a scroll bar, can you scroll that portal to see the other images?

If not, you aren't using a relationship that works for these portals as you need a relationship along these lines:

ParentTable::__pkParentID = ImagesTable::_fkParentID

where your layout is based on ParentTable and your portal refers to ImagesTable.

• 13. Re: Layout Challenge
                                  johnw54

I just wanted to make sure that we're on the same page.  Each style record as 1 photo only. There are  250 different styles, so there will be 250 photos in the related table.  In each row on the layout I'm looking to show 3 different styles which would be 3 different photos (1 for each style).  Anything else I can try. The join is very basic.

• 14. Re: Layout Challenge
                                    philmodjunk

Is your layout based on Data and are the portals based on Style Photos?

You have yet to answer this question: If you take that first, initial row 1 portal and temporarily give it a scroll bar, can you scroll to see all 250 photos?.

1 2 Previous Next