9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2014 5:03 PM by algae592002

Layout design

algae592002

Title

Layout design & slide panel with look up fields

I designed a layout that has a slide panel (vs a tabs panel), and added a portal with some look up fields. The fields on the first slide panel work fine. The fields in the second slide panel are not looking up and populating the fields with the needed data.

Are there any current issues that I need to be aware of when using slide panels? This is my first attempt to incorporate it in a layout.

Thank you

Tables.jpg

• 1. Re: Layout design & slide panel with look up fields
          philmodjunk

My crystal ball isn't that good wink

On which of the above table occurrences is your layout based?

On which is the portal based?

From which are the "look up" fields specified?

And there is more than one way for data to be "looked up". What specific options did you select to look up data?

• 2. Re: Layout design & slide panel with look up fields
            algae592002

My apologies. I should have been more specific.

Layout is based on "Stu" table.

Portals are each based on one of the "Assessment_BPST_…" tables. Each portal is on one of three sliding panels.

Each look up field looks from one of the "Assessment_BPST_…" tables into the "Stu" or "Teacher" tables to get the data. I think your last question is answered with this last statement.

Sliding panel 1 fields look up data with no problem. Sliding panel 2 & 3 fields do not look up. Attached is a sample of the look up setting.

• 3. Re: Layout design & slide panel with look up fields
              philmodjunk

And does that screen shot show the look up that works or the one that does not?

As I take a closer look at your relationships, I can see some that cannot work as you need them to work. Each of the relationships where the match field's name is Z_link cannot work as the field is either an unstored calculation or  field with global storage specified. (I can see that by the way the relationship line connects to table occurrence boxes at each end.

Thus, I would expect a look up setting that looks up data into "Assessment_a_BPST_..." from stu should work while one that looks up data into "Assessment_a_BPST_..." from teacher will not as the link from STU to Teacher is one of those that can't work.

And such a look up that physically copies data from one table to another is not always the best design option. In many, not all, cases, it can be better to simply refer directly to the value in the related table's field.

That is an issue discussed in this link: Auto Fill

• 4. Re: Layout design & slide panel with look up fields
                algae592002

OK: the screen shot is of a look up that works.

I changed the global fields in teacher table and put them in the stu table. Then I made a relationship using the stu ID field so it's not a global field, though the previous relationship was working. The current relationship is StuID_PK not equal to StuID_PK. This lets me create records in Stu table and look ups get the needed data from the teacher global fields.

Now the next step is creating a record on BPST1 and the BPST Join tables. What I have set up now is:

Stu table is related to BPST Join table with StuID_PK = StuID_FK. Then BPST Join table is related to BPST1 table by BPST1_ID_FK = BPST1_ID_PK.

I can see through the portal I have in the Stu table layout , all the related tables, but when creating a record through the portal, it does not look up all the data to the BPST1 table, like I need it to. I guess I'm still not getting how to create a join relationship that allows me to create records in both tables through the portal in the Stu table. 

Reading your last link, I know I want the second option for look ups because I need to keep a historical record of assessments per student.

• 5. Re: Layout design & slide panel with look up fields
                  philmodjunk

I can see through the portal I have in the Stu table layout

And that would be a portal to which table occurrence?

I guess I'm still not getting how to create a join relationship that allows me to create records in both tables through the portal in the Stu table.

Generally speaking, the relationship and portal by themselves is not enough to do more than create a new record in the Join table.

Sticking with a simple example to make it easier to explain, if you have these relationships:

TableA----<Join>-----TableB

TableA::__pkTableAID = Join::_fkTableAID
                       TableB::__pkTableBID = Join::_fkTableBID

One would normally set up a portal to Join on the TableA layout in order to create a record in Join that links an existing record in TableB to the current record on your TableA layout. This is often done by enabling "allow creation" for the Join table and using a drop down list or pop up menu to select an ID for the record in Table B.

But note that this only creates a record in Join and does not allow for creating new records in Table B. Often, a script for creating new Table B records is put in place that a) creates the new Table B record. b) copies the ID of that new record to a variable c) creates a new record in Join linked to the New Table B record and the current Table A record. There are many possible variations on that basic idea--much depends on how much data has to be entered into the new Table B record and what option you choose to use to enable the user to enter that info.

• 6. Re: Layout design & slide panel with look up fields
                    algae592002

From the portal on stu table, I can access all 3 BPST tables and the "join" table, so as to set up the fields I want in the portal.

After reading again your responses, I'm thinking that maybe I don't want a true join table to merge all BPST test data into it.

I've done a second version that seems to be working like a want it to.

I will post several times to show the shots I've made, since I can't post all shots in one post, so far.

I changed the table relations and layout because I need to create from the Stu table, records in any of the BPST tables. ( Stu--<BPST) I want to create them through the portal I have on each of the slide control pages.

See next shot.

• 7. Re: Layout design & slide panel with look up fields
                      algae592002

Then I want to merge student BPST records onto a report layout. So far I can do it using a script that imports/updates records in the "Join" table, where the report layout is located.

• 8. Re: Layout design & slide panel with look up fields
                        algae592002

If I click on the yellow arrow head button, next to the Delete button in the portal, it goes to the actual test page I use through an iPad to record the student responses.

• 9. Re: Layout design & slide panel with look up fields
                          algae592002

Once this process is done, using the prior script, I can see a report that shows BPST test data in a report layout, such as the one in the next shot.