1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2012 1:07 PM by philmodjunk

Layout display issue

henryhu91

Title

Layout display issue

Hello Fm Pro users,

I've having trouble with my layout display. 

this is a table view of my layout. as you can see in the picture, there're two grey lines swinging around and if I move my mouse pointer over it, it will disappear. whenever I get into my layout for the first time, it happened like that. 

If I wanna get rid of it, I have to enter layout mood and switch back to browse again.

Can anyone help me out how to solve this issue?

any help is appreciated. thanks. !

• 1. Re: Layout display issue
          philmodjunk

Why not use List View for this layout instead of table view?

I think you have selected a summary group setting for one of your table columns that appears and disappears depending on how the records are sorted.

• 2. Re: Layout display issue
            henryhu91

I've no summary field ever. how can I check it if I do have summary group settings?

• 3. Re: Layout display issue
              philmodjunk

This isn't a field that I'm talking about. It's an option you can access when you pull down the drop down that is part of the column header in table views.

• 4. Re: Layout display issue
                henryhu91

hi Phil. I changed it into list view as you advised me. thanks. I've one more question

you know in excel we can freeze pane (columns) when we have a long and many columns to the right side.

I would like to freeze the first 4 columns(Fields) of my list view layouts which are ID status, ID #, Part #, Part name.

how can I do that? 

thanks

• 5. Re: Layout display issue
                  philmodjunk

This is not possible in FileMaker.

Best compromise that I can think of is to create several layouts where the first 4 fields are the same and the fields arranged to the right vary with each layout. Buttons in your layout header can switch from layout to layout.

• 6. Re: Layout display issue
                    henryhu91

wow I see. hopefully filemaker can do that in the future. 

In my list view layout, how can I highlight the whole row?

it will solve my problem too.

• 7. Re: Layout display issue
                      philmodjunk

Use conditional formatting  to set a contrasting fill color if:

Get ( RecordID = $$RecordID.

Use OnRecordLoad to perform this script step:

Set Variable [ $$RecordID ; Get ( RecordID ) ]

Also, in FileMaker 12, if you select the Delineate option in Layout setup, you can assign a fill color to your fields and this fill color will only appear in the row that is the current record.

• 8. Re: Layout display issue
                        henryhu91

I conditional formated the field and error pop out saying the parameter is invalid and use Get function.

I paste it like this in the formula Get ( mytable::ID record) = $$RecordID

do I have to conditional formatted for every single fields in the layout?

• 9. Re: Layout display issue
                          philmodjunk

Sorry, I left out a parenthesis:

Get ( RecordID ) = $$RecordID

Do not use a field name here, type in this expresssion exactly like I have it.

• 10. Re: Layout display issue
                            henryhu91

where should I put the conditional formatting in? any of the fields?

I've formatted only one field and already script trigger Set Variable [ $$RecordID ; Get ( RecordID ) ] and it isn't highlight when I select record

• 11. Re: Layout display issue
                              henryhu91

Hi Phil 

where should I put the conditional formatting in? any of the fields?

I've formatted only one field and already script trigger Set Variable [ $$RecordID ; Get ( RecordID ) ] and it isn't highlight when I select record

can you help me out please?

• 12. Re: Layout display issue
                                philmodjunk

Select all the fields that you want to change color if they are the current record.

Your script may need to be:

Set Variable [ $$RecordID ; Get ( RecordID ) ]
                                     Refresh Window[]

Note: FileMaker 12 users can also use the Delineate option in layout setup... to get this effect without any conditional formats and with additional options not possible in earlier versions. With Delineate specified, appearance settings specified for a given field are only applied to the current record.

• 13. Re: Layout display issue
                                  henryhu91

Thanks for continous help. Phil

Set Variable [ $$RecordID ; Value:Get ( RecordID ) ] 

see yours set variable is without value: 

I dont' know why it isn't highlighting at all.

I've conditional formatted two fields and put Get ( RecordID ) = $$RecordID

why isn't highlighting at all? and I'm using Fm 12 pro what is Delineate? may be it will work out better than highlighting?

• 14. Re: Layout display issue
                                    philmodjunk

Open Layout Setup.... You'll see a check box with that name. This may or may not work for you . You can see both methods in action if you look at the List layout in the Known Bugs List database. The Status field on this layout shows a rather funky gradient fill that only shows on the current record courtesy of Delineate. The light yellow "highlight" shown on the other fields of the current record comes from the conditional formatting that I have described in this thread.

1 2 Previous Next