1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 10:47 AM by philmodjunk

Layout Editing

snimmo

Title

Layout Editing

I am fairly new to Filemaker and am using the "Contacts" delivered solution to try to understand as much as I can about the product. It has gone fairly well but am struggling with an area in the iPhone layout for Contacts.

There are some global variables in the display that overlay each other I am trying to change but am not finding how to move these items around like a text box does even though these are actually text items. I'm wanting to know a couple of things. What is the best way to modify or setup layouts when you have fields that overlay each other? This seems to be common on the iPhone formats because of the limited space but I haven't found a good way to design and modify these overlapping fields. Is there a view I'm missing that allows me to work with multiple overlays easily?

Second issue I have found to be difficult is finding where the global variables are defined. Is there a view that shows where all the global variables in the system are defined in case I want to make changes to them?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• 1. Re: Layout Editing
          philmodjunk

Any object on your layout can be moved around by selecting it and dragging it. This is true for fields, buttons, layout text and so forth. But variables have to be put in place as <<$$MergeVariables>>. They then can be part of a block of layout text that contains more than one merge variable and or merge field as well as layout text typed directly into the layout. So you might have a group of variables all inside one text object and changing their position relative to each other requires selecting the text tool and clicking that text object.

But objects can also be grouped and then dragging one drags them all. You can use the inspector to ungroup them if thisis the case.

And objects can be locked. Then they cannot be dragged at all until you use the inspector to unlock them.

There is no one place to go to to see all global variables defined in the solution. Variables are created in the instant a script step or other calculation--such as a conditional format expression using Let, assigns a value to that field. They will then exist and retain that value until their value is changed or the file is closed.