3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2009 2:27 PM by philmodjunk

layout for a letter

KBGF75

Title

layout for a letter

I want to create a FM7 capability for printing a single-page form letter for sending to selected members of a non-profit. Changes to the text would occur only occasionally. I see this as a simple alternative to a merge process.
      My newbie approach has been to create a "letter" layout, form view, in which the letter's text is contained in a large text box located in the Body. Date, salutation (name from a field) and letterhead (object) will be in the Header. I would find the records I want, switch to the letter layout, and print the found records. Is this a sensible start?
      I've already run into a stumbling block concerning page breaks. The Body is broken into a half dozen pages; the page-break lines are obvious in the layout view. I want to remove the breaks, but I've not been able to find the needed guidance in FMP Help, or perhaps to understand what I've read.
          -Al

• 1. Re: layout for a letter
          philmodjunk

You can make this work, but eventually you'll probably want to put your letter's body into a text field. A text field will enable you to more easily edit your letter text and if you put your letter fields in a different table from your addressees, you match up a specific group of people with a specific letter.

"the page-break lines are obvious in the layout view. I want to remove the breaks,"

Please explain what you want in more detail. The page break lines are just indicators where you'll see one page end and another page begin given the current printer and the layout's margin settings. You can chang their location by changing your printer settings and/or layout margins.

What problem do these break lines cause for you?

• 2. Re: layout for a letter
            KBGF75

Thanks for the quick response. Re the page breaks, I do understand that the lines indicate where the breaks will occur. They show that my text, intended to be a single page, breaks into six pages of ~ 6 lines each.

I've tried to change printer settings and/or layout margins in order to print the text on a single page. I haven't figured it out yet, but it must be simple so I'll go back to work on it. I'll also try a text field vs. a text box.

-Al

• 3. Re: layout for a letter
              philmodjunk

KBGF75 wrote:

Thanks for the quick response. Re the page breaks, I do understand that the lines indicate where the breaks will occur. They show that my text, intended to be a single page, breaks into six pages of ~ 6 lines each.

That sounds very unusual. I'd look for any custom page size setting by selecting print or page setup from the file menu. I'd also enter layout mode and select Layouts | Layout Setup.. | Printing and see what margins are set.

Since you're talking about a letter, any chance you've previously set up a labels layout, perhaps one that uses a custom page size that's very small?