3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2009 3:18 PM by davidanders

Layout for printing DYMO No. 30576 continuous file labels?

Bubba

Title

Layout for printing DYMO No. 30576 continuous file labels?

FM Pro 10.0v3 on Mac OS 10.4.11 (or Windows XP Pro sp3).

I cannot get the label layout right for DYMO No. 30576 continuous roll file labels printed on a DYMO LabelWriter 400. These labels are not included in the FM labels inventory. (There is a DYMO 30277 file label included but I was unable to get this to work).  The actual 30576 file labels (9/16 x 3 7/16 inch) are centered in a larger label (1 1/16 x 3 7/16)... when printed each file label is peeled out of the larger label blank leaving 1/4 inch strips above and below. Problems encountered have been:  multiple label texts printed sequentially on a single label blank at 90 degrees to label width/label feed direction, and 3 label texts printed in the correct orientation (horizontally/parallel to label feed direction) but on a single label blank.

Thanks for help. 

Bubba 

• 1. Re: Layout for printing DYMO No. 30576 continuous file labels?
          TSGal

Bubba:

Thank you for your post.

If you already selected a label layout, pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".  Next, pull down the View menu and select "Object Info" and a small "Info" box displays.  Click on the layout where it says "Body", and numbers will appear in the "Info" box.  The trick is to measure the label from the top of one label to the top of the second label.  Assuming from your calculations that it is 1-1/16 inches in height, click where it says Body and type into the bottom box of Info: 1.063.  It will end up saying 1.069, but that will be the height of your label.  If the distance from the top of the first label to the top of the second label is actually 1-1/8, then enter 1.125 (or 1-1/4 = 1.250).

Then, try printing a couple of labels to make sure it prints properly.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Layout for printing DYMO No. 30576 continuous file labels?
            Bubba

Thank you for the suggestions and sorry about the delayed response. Still cannot get it. The DYMO labels feed out of the printer lengthwise (with text printing from left to right) one at a time. I cannot relate your instructions ("top of one label to the top of the second label") to the situation. What does this mean with a continuous roll of labels being printed out horizontally? I'm not even sure of the feed instructions (number of columns, down or across, page margins). Sorry to be so dense. I have printed tons of Avery labels from FileMaker on 8X11 forms no problem but this DYMO LabelWriter is a mystery.

Bubba 

• 3. Re: Layout for printing DYMO No. 30576 continuous file labels?
              davidanders

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/193947/

From another forum

---

I tried to use a Dymo labeler about a year ago and ran into the same problems you are having. I never did figure out how to get it to work directly with Filemaker so I just export the records to Excel. The Dymo printer takes to Excel like a duck takes to water.

I fiddled around trying to get FM to work with Dymo for a couple hours and then just gave up. There may be an answer but I didn't find it.

--- 

So, my solution: on my existing labels layout, I created a little button in the upper-right hand corner of each label. This button triggers a script that simply copies the content of the field for that given label to the user's clipboard.

A quick alt-tab into the Dymo application (which is actually quite a decent app) followed by a "paste" and "print" button - and they have a label. Quite a few clicks less than FileMaker's Print dialog. And, I've saved the effort of creating a new Dymo layout for each of the labels.

What's nice about the Dyno app is that when the user pastes the copied address into the label, the text format of the saved label is retained.