6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2013 9:32 AM by philmodjunk

Layout Issues

RyanMcEniff

Title

Layout Issues

Recently we upgrades from Macs to PCs (Win 7) and from FileMaker 5 to FilerMaker 12. 

With that came some issues 

1) We are a cleaning company and we type up cleaning evaluations then save them to the computer as a PDF then email them to the customer.  I noticed that the PDF layouts cut off a significant portion of the right side.  I went into the layouts and realized that the form layout was wider than the paper it was supposed to be on, ok easy fix, made adjustments and then saved, problem solved - no.  Not only will it still continue to save PDFs with the right side cut off, even though I saved the new layout when I go back into the "Edit layout" all the changes I made have reverted back to the old layout where all then input squares go further to the right, BUT it shows the new layout when I am printing or just viewing the evaluation form, and on top of that it now prints out correctly.  I have no idea where to go from this, and it is very frustrating, as well as being a waste of paper and ink to print out the evaluation, scan them, email them, then throw them away....

Thank you for your help.  I added a pic to show you an example of the PDF issue.

Ryan

FMissue1.png

• 1. Re: Layout Issues
          philmodjunk

Are you using a script to print or save as PDF? Or are you selecting one of these options from the File Menu?

Just a guess here, but maybe you are clicking a button to generate the PDF or to print out hard copy and that button's script is using a different copy of the layout than the one that you modified.

Ps. One key difference in printing on PC's as compared to Macs is that Mac printer drivers have a "scale percentage" settting that can scale the output to fit the page. Since this option does not exist when printing from FileMaker on WIndows, you have to edit the layout as you have described doing here.

• 2. Re: Layout Issues
            RyanMcEniff

Phil,

This is more than a mac to PC scaling issue....

What I am having problems with is the layout.  I went through and changed the layout to fit the page, THAT was the original problem, now what is happening is that sometimes the layout reverts to the old "too big for the page layout" and then mysteriously, (or I do something that I have no idea what I did) it reverts back to what the saved layout should be... no idea why this is happening

Totally unrealted and probably a massive newbie question, but oh well, if you can image the picture that is posted, this happens a lot with last names, but for this example I will use the first name "Kristen" for some reason, though in the edit layout field and the intake field there is plenty of room, a last name as short as KRITEN with print out with the KRISTE on one line and then benieth it will be the N

KRISTE
                 N

Now we found if we ad a perioid to the end it will print out all on one line.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Ryan

• 3. Re: Layout Issues
              philmodjunk

I know it's not a scaling issue. I offered that as an explanation as to why you had to modify the layout. To repeat from my last post:

Are you using a script to print or save as PDF? Or are you selecting one of these options from the File Menu?

Just a guess here, but maybe you are clicking a button to generate the PDF or to print out hard copy and that button's script is using a different copy of the layout than the one that you modified.

• 4. Re: Layout Issues
                RyanMcEniff

Phil,

How I save it does not seem to effect the outcome. 

Usually I click File->save/send file as->pdf and save it to the desktop.

If I am in preview mode, I can click the buttom "save as PDF" and it does the same things

It is unbelievably frustrating.

Ryan

• 5. Re: Layout Issues
                  RyanMcEniff

When I print directly from File Maker, it prints out with no "cutting off" this is just when saving the file as a PDF.

• 6. Re: Layout Issues
                    philmodjunk

Before saving as PDF, use Print Setup... to make sure that the correct page size and page orientation (portrait vs landscape) is specified.