7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 10:22 AM by philmodjunk

Layout Name field

FilmUser

Title

Layout Name field

I have tried to make a calculation field following instructions from several sources:

I see no Get(LayoutName) function, so I started with Get(Flag) and edit it to Get(LayoutName) -

Returning a text result, unstored, global unchecked, Indexing None, Auto indexing unchecked, and Do Not evaluate if ref fields are empty unchecked (tried the last one checked also).

The field returns only the name of the layout which was active at the time the calculation was set - only one window open then and throughout testing this.

Am I missing something?

• 1. Re: Layout Name field
          schamblee

If you want a calculation to update automatically you will have to change it to an non-stored calculation.

• 2. Re: Layout Name field
            FilmUser

Thank you for your response but, as I say above:

Returning a text result, unstored, global unchecked, Indexing None, Auto indexing unchecked, and Do Not evaluate if ref fields are empty unchecked (tried the last one checked also).

• 3. Re: Layout Name field
              philmodjunk

It works for me if I use an unstored calculation. Perhaps you forgot to specify "text" as the calculation's result type?

• 4. Re: Layout Name field
                FilmUser

Thanks for hanging with me, but -

Ok, more info maybe - One database, numerous tables, more than one layout per table, but so far I have tried this with layouts all of which reference the same table. It is placed in the header. Once I placed it in one table, then copied it to each of the others, then tried recreating the field with the layout tool. Still doesn't return the active layout name.

Filemaker Pro 11.0v3

??

• 5. Re: Layout Name field
                  philmodjunk

Sorry, should have read that more carefully. I was testing FileMaker 12 as you didn't specify the version, but a quick test in FMP 11 shows that it works there as well. I tested it by defining the field, placing it on a layout and then duplicating the layout. When I use the layout menu to change layouts, I see the layout name in the field update to reflect the change.

I'm using Windows 7, what OS are you using?

Please note that this calculation will only work reliably for layouts based on the same table as where you defined the field.

And given that you have tried so many different settings, make sure that it is simply unstored, not specified with global storage as calculation fields with global storage have their own rather unusual rules for when they will update.

• 6. Re: Layout Name field
                    FilmUser

Running Windows 7 Professional.

More info -

the table was imported from a FMP11 file, which was a conversion from a FMP5 file

I duplicated the default layout created at import, resized the parts to fit the part sizes of the FMP11 file layout, then imported the records, then the fields

In most cases the fields knew their identiies as long as records were there first

From there, I duplicated each layout in the new solution (still one table) and adjusted for part size, copied the old layout objects, pasted in and so on

This LayoutName field was not added, however, until all the layouts were done and formatted (I didn't have the bright idea till then)

• 7. Re: Layout Name field
                      philmodjunk

Try creating a brand new file and testing what you get on that file. Perhaps the file or layouts in the file your are working with are damaged.