1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 10:52 AM by philmodjunk

Layout Question Going From FMP 1.0 to FMP 11.0

RipVanFilemaker

Title

Layout Question Going From FMP 1.0 to FMP 11.0

For 20 years I have used FMP 1.0 for my business. (Please don't laugh. It met my needs for quite a while!) Now I have upgraded to FMP 11.0 and am starting from scratch redesigning my database.

Mine is a wholesale business. 20 years ago in 1.0, I had separate Filemaker files called Customers, Products, and Forms. Now all these need to be merged into one Filemaker file.

So far I have created a Contact List Layout and Product List Layout within the new database and filled these layouts with fields. I need to create a Forms Layout to generate invoices, packing slips, shipping instructions, labels, etc. The Forms Layout will use fields that already exist in both Contact List and Product List. 

Is there a way to bring in the fields from Contacts and Products so I don't have to duplicate my efforts? Or do I need to re-create the fields anew for each layout? For example, an invoice will need to have the customer's company name, billing address, customer #, etc. These fields already exist in Contacts.

And once I have all my fields that I need to generate invoices, packing slips, labels, etc., what are these forms now called in the current Filemaker — i.e. where in the program do I go to create these different ways of outputting the same data? 

Twenty years ago these forms were called Layouts — i.e. an invoice was a layout, a packing slip was a layout, a shipping label was a layout, etc.

As you can see I am slightly confused by the change in terminology. Thanks for listening to an old-timer who is waking up from a long Filemaker nap!

• 1. Re: Layout Question Going From FMP 1.0 to FMP 11.0
          philmodjunk

We still call them layouts. The big change for you is that FileMaker is now a relational database. That means you can create multiple tables, each designed to store different kinds of data and then you can link them in relationships. If you are unfamiliar with relational database design, it would be a good idea to study up on the concept.

Take a look at the Invoices starter solution. You may be able to adapt it to meet your needs. Whether you use it or not, Comment's invoices demo file is a good place to start as its very "stripped down" design makes it much easier to learn from:  http://fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/309136/