5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2012 8:47 AM by philmodjunk

Layout qustion from a novice

dwclynes

Title

Layout qustion from a novice

I have 2 tables, table LOC shows a list of all locations in a specific area.  There is a key field call it "ADD ID" in LOC that identifies each unique address with a unique number.  The LOC table also shows complete address, city and state, and zip.

I have a second table PEOP.  PEOP is a list of every person that lives in this area.  Many times there are several people at a given address.  PEOP also contains the same key field "ADD ID" that idenfifies each location.

A point of interest is that there are some houses or "ADD ID's" were I don't know who lives there so I would like the layout I create to show that "ADD ID" but the people fields, last name, first name, age etc. would be blank for that location.

What I want is a layout that shows every "ADD ID" or address in this area and every person that lives at every house.  In my tries so far I am getting every house but only one person at each house.

I have started this by setting up a table relationship between these 2 tables on the key that describes each unique location.

Thank you in advance for any help.

dwclynes

• 1. Re: Layout qustion from a novice
          philmodjunk

You would appear to have this relationship:

PEOP----<LOC

PEOP::ADD ID = LOC::ADD ID

If you used a layout that referred to PEOP in Layout Setup | Show Records From, you'd get a list of all people, but LOC records with no associated PEOP record would not be included. If you base your layout on LOC, you get all locations, but only the first related PEOP record is displayed.

One option is to base your layout on LOC, but include a portal to the Related PEOP records. This would allow you to list all the people associated with that address. For printing purposes, you can make the portal many rows tall and set it to slide up and resize the enclosing part to remove the unused portal rows. This option may not produce the format you desire for your report, however.

Another option is to create one related, but otherwise empty record in PEOP for each LOC record that does not have a related PEOP record. You can then base your layout on the PEOP table. This can complicate things and you'd probably want to set up a script to generate the extra blank records, but it does work.

A third option is much the same as option 2, but you export the records from PEOP (or a link to them) into a third report table where you can generate blank place holder records without affecting the records currently placed in PEOP.

• 2. Re: Layout qustion from a novice
            dwclynes

Phil,

Thank you for your reply.

One issue I have is that I have several of the location and people files and will be doing this over and over again so I want to to set up a system where this is very easy.

I continue to play around with the Filemaker tools and read the Missing Manual that I have from the library.  I am very much a novice with this program so I think it is going to take me some time to get the hang of this.

As with any program I have learned I just need to practice.  If you or anyone else has other ideas on how to do this I woudl be very glad to here from you.

David

• 3. Re: Layout qustion from a novice
              philmodjunk

One issue I have is that I have several of the location and people files and will be doing this over and over again so I want to to set up a system where this is very easy.

Then why complicate the proces by having multiple files? Why not just two tables in a single file? If each file represents a different set of records, it's still possible to use a single merged set of all your records by using finds/sorts/portal filters to work only with a given group of such records at a given time. (And tyring to maintain separate working copies of the same solution is a real pain when you need to update the database design for all of them in exactly the same way...)

With any of these methods (The portal method is simplest to implement, does it work for you?), scripting can be used to automate the process to make it simpler.

• 4. Re: Layout qustion from a novice
                dwclynes

I would like to be able to print a report showing every house and all the ocupants of each house that I know of.  The houses where I don't know who lives there would be blank in the fieilds that describe the people.

The portal idea would work if I was going to look at each house on the screen.

Maybe this is not possible with Filemaker?

Thank you very much for your replies and help.

David

• 5. Re: Layout qustion from a novice
                  philmodjunk

I would like to be able to print a report showing every house and all the ocupants of each house that I know of.  The houses where I don't know who lives there would be blank in the fieilds that describe the people.

The portal idea would work if I was going to look at each house on the screen.

As far as I can tell, you can do this with a portal. The portal would be used to list people. The layout would be based on Houses.

In cases where there are no people records for a given house record, you'd see the data for that house from the house record, but the people fields inside the portal would not be there. This seems exactly what you need here.