5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2013 2:34 PM by philmodjunk

Layout shows differently when Open Remote is used

wedoshows

Title

Layout shows differently when Open Remote is used

I am running FileMaker Pro 12 on a computer with Windows 7 Home Premium. It is the "home base" computer with FileMaker files which others access.

I have three new computers in the office which are using Windows  8.   These three computers were all configured at the same time in the same way, but on one computer when we attempt to print from a "save as PDF" file the layout changes and we cannot print our a contract in the same configuration as it shows on my "server" computer.  It does not appear correctly in Preview either.  I don't understand this.   The "original" file is on my computer ... how can the computer using Open Remote change this when saving or printing from the file?   I re-installed FM on the remote computer hoping to correct the problem ... but it didn't.

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Layout shows differently when Open Remote is used
          philmodjunk

Exactly how did the layout change? Does some of the text appear different? if so, perhaps there is a font not installed on that computer or FileMaker is not configured to use it.

• 2. Re: Layout shows differently when Open Remote is used
            wedoshows

Duh!   I was concentrating so much on the spacing which wasn't correct  that I didn't even notice that the fonts were different than in the original file on my computer.    So, that could well be the problem.  

HOWEVER  ... when I tried to "configure new fonts" it's greyed out and I can't do it on that computer.  Any further thoughts?   

• 3. Re: Layout shows differently when Open Remote is used
              philmodjunk

Did you have the file open with a full access password on that computer?

Are the fonts that were missing "plain vanilla" fonts like times new roman or arial? Or were they more unusual fonts that might not be installed on that computer at all?

• 4. Re: Layout shows differently when Open Remote is used
                wedoshows

Good grief!   I went to the new computer to "configure" some fonts and I never saw such a mess of unfamiliar fonts ... strange names ... none of the old standbys I am used to!  

BTW ... I really appreciate your help.  I've been using FM for many, many, many years, but mostly just scratching the surface of its possibilities and mostly  for many of those years on Macs  .... so I'm a bit out of my depth in trying to resolve these problems on PCs  ... and I especially HATE Windows 8.  But I'm as close to an inhouse IT person as we are likely to ever have.

I used Times New Roman, Garamond and Cooper Black for my contract.  Since Times is the only one present on the new computer is there any way to make the fonts match more from computer to computer so that I can head off this problem in the future?

• 5. Re: Layout shows differently when Open Remote is used
                  philmodjunk

That's why I try to stick to times and arial as much as possible. It can look a bit "boring" but I also rarely see a font substitution issue either. You should, however, be able to find and install the missing fonts on your one computer. That should be less work than changing all of your layouts.