1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 3, 2009 4:32 PM by philmodjunk

Layout troubles

BiotechGuy

Title

Layout troubles

For sake of simplicity, let's say I have one table with 5 fields. Field1 contains names of people.  Field4 has URL's that start with http:// and end in .pdf, that are associated with those people.  The other fields are irrelevant. 

What I want to do is have a layout that shows Field1 in a dropdown menu.  Then EITHER a button you can push that will automatically pop up the PDF associated with it, OR a "Webviewer" set up that will do the same.

Can this be done?  Or do I need to have this information on 2 different tables?

If this can't be done, do you know how to make links active?  I tried just setting up the layout as a "table" with just Field1 and Field4, and the information is there, but the links aren't active.  I would rather avoid this way of setup because it looks boring, not very creative :)

Any tips?  Thank you

• 1. Re: Layout troubles
          philmodjunk
             A simple approach is to define the second field as a container field. Then, in browse mode, use Insert File... to insert a reference to your PDF file. (You'll see a check box at the bottom of the insert file dialog to "store only a reference".) To open the PDF, you just double click the field.