11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2012 3:16 PM by rickaltman

Layout View makes me crash

rickaltman

Title

Layout View makes me crash

I have a database that has been in perfect working order for over a decade, and the combination of FM Pro 10 Advanced and Windows 7 was a fine partnership. Upon migrating to Windows 8, however, every single time I switch to Layout view, I crash.

Every single layout, every single time.

Does anyone here know what might be going on? Many thanks...

Rick A.
           Pleasanton CA

• 1. Re: Layout View makes me crash
          davidanders

Does a new database, blank or created from an included solution do the same thing?

Windows8  32bit or 64bit?

FMPA ver 10? or the last update 10.v3    http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7291

If not, there may be corruption in your database.  BACKUP YOUR DATABASE

Save as Smaller and test
               Recover your database and test.

• 2. Re: Layout View makes me crash
            davidanders

FILEMAKER Known Bug List   Known Bug List

• 3. Re: Layout View makes me crash
              rickaltman

Hi David -- Thanks for the reply. This is 64-bit Windows 8, and a new database does not exhibit this behavior. I tried Save As Smaller and I tried Save As Clone with no records at all. Both produced the crash.

How does one perform a Recover?

• 4. Re: Layout View makes me crash
                davidanders

A recovered database is not recommended for use. Import your data into a known good backup.

Filemaker open choose File Menu > Recover    select unopened database to recover.

• 6. Re: Layout View makes me crash
                  rickaltman

I appreciate the continued help, although the Recovery process did not turn up any errors and did not solve the issue. I still crash upon every switch to Layout view. A few facts:

1. I can open the file, from its current location, from a computer running the same version of FM but running Windows 7.

2. A version of the database does open that is about three months old. The most significant change since then is my creation of a container field and my adding several dozen QR codes (bitmap files) into it.

3. Removing the container field entirely from the database does not solve the issue and I am not experienced enough to determine what other differences might exist between the versions.

Questions:

What else, past Recovery, might I explore?

Are there any reported issues with FM and Windows 8?

Might a more current version perform better under Windows 8?

• 7. Re: Layout View makes me crash
                    philmodjunk

see if the crash is specific to a particular layout. If it is, delete that layout and recreated it from scratch. Do not copy any layout objects to it from the possibly damaged layout.

• 8. Re: Layout View makes me crash
                      rickaltman

Phil, it is not. Every single layout in this database is inaccessible. No matter where I am, when operating under Windows 8, a switch to Layout view causes the program to crash.

• 9. Re: Layout View makes me crash
                        davidanders

"1. I can open the file, from its current location, from a computer running the same version of FM but running Windows 7."

have you copied the database to another directory, or partition, or hard drive, or computer and tested the copy???

Copying to the Win8 machine would be the best course.

Eliminate complications, opening across a network is a complication.

• 10. Re: Layout View makes me crash
                          philmodjunk

It's rare, but not unheard of for an OS update such as from W7 to W8, to reveal hidden issues with a file. The damage was there for an unknown period of time but created no noticeable issues until the update, then you get a crash or other obvious behavior.

It's also rare, but not unheard of for damage to a file to not be detected by recover or is detected, but not fully repaired.

This may be the case here. You might try the 3rd party produced FmDiff application to see if it spots any issues that recover missed.

I really hate to say this, but if you can't find a back up copy that doesn't crash on you, you may have to rebuild the file manually and import the data into it. This can be a very labor intensive process.

Before you go that route look over this list of suggestions that I frequently post when someone reports crashes or "hangs" and see if any are things that you haven't investigated. They may be long shots, but if one of the "scores", you've saved yourself a lot of work.

Figuring out why FileMaker is crashing can require some sleuthing to rule out possible issues.

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “hangs”:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
                               Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

To check for possible problems on a specific computer, you may want to run a utility to check out the hard drive and also to check out the user accounts on that computer for possible problems.

To rule out some other issues with your specific computer on Windows systems,

Select Run from the start menu and type in:

msconfig

Then, under the Services tab, you can stop all non-Microsoft services. If this solves the issue, then you need to look at what services you stopped and see which is one is the culprit.

What is reported when you recover the file?
                               The file could be damaged. Not only can file damage cause crashes, but the crashes (or forced quits after a "hang") can damage your file. You may need to test a recovered copy to see if it works without crashing.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1.           Recover does not detect all problems
                          3.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                          5.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?
                               That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...

• 11. Re: Layout View makes me crash
                            rickaltman

Thanks to all who chimed in here. While the detective in me really wanted to figure out the issue (database performs perfectly under Win7, crashes when changing to Layout view under Win8), the pragmatist in me forced a different route.

I migrated to FMPA12 and the problem went away!

Kind of a copout...but problem solved...

Rick A.