5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2012 6:24 AM by philmodjunk

Layout view of tables

SteveKeiser

Title

Layout view of tables

I don't understand how I can see fields in browse mode of a table layout that do not show up in the layout mode of the same layout. What gives?

• 1. Re: Layout view of tables
          GuyStevens

When in table mode, click "specify" in the top right corner.

There you can specify which fields are visible and in what order they are presented in table mode.

I always make two separate layouts. One that I only use in table mode.

And another one to make an actual layout in form mode.

Because when you make a layout in form mode and you add layout object like checkboxes or radio button sets. You can't see the actual data in your fields anymore.

• 2. Re: Layout view of tables
            philmodjunk

That button is named "modify" in English language versions...Wink

• 3. Re: Layout view of tables
              GuyStevens

Oh man, I wasn't sure.

I knew I should have checked Embarassed

My bad.

• 4. Re: Layout view of tables
                SteveKeiser

I'll try to be more precise in my question: How can there be fields in the browse mode of a table view that are not there when I switch to layout mode?

• 5. Re: Layout view of tables
                  philmodjunk

You'd have to ask a FileMaker Programmer the "how" we can just tell you the "what". And the "what" here is that while you are in browse mode, you can click the modify button and select the fields you want to be visible on the layout. You can select any field from the layout's table or any related table. You can actually enter layout mode and delete all fields from the layout and this still works.

However, there's one important reason for putting a field on a layout used for table view: If you apply formatting--including conditional formatting to the field while it is in layout mode, this formatting will be visible when you return to browse mode. You can't do that without the field being present on the layout while in layout mode.