7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2015 12:30 PM by ZacherieWalker

Layout w/ Sliding Objects printing blank pages

ZacherieWalker

Title

Layout w/ Sliding Objects printing blank pages

I've created a layout specifically for printing purposes only.  The layout extends 20 pages; however, we will never need all 20 pages.  I just needed enough room to fit all of the merged fields.  The fields are set to move up and enclose as necessary.  This is working properly.

The problem I'm having is this: Because the body is so large, I have a ton of blank pages in preview mode. When I go to "Preview" mode, it's showing all 20 pages, with 7 being used (This is just a sample report I've brought up to test)  Is there anyway to write a script to eliminate unnecessary pages?  I wanted this print layout to be dynamic and move around as necessary because we could have a ton of information, or very little.  Let's just say no report is ever going to have the same amount of information.

I can't find a solution anywhere for this.  FileMaker is not very friendly with printing large documents.. and I'm not really sure how to go about this anymore.

• 1. Re: Layout w/ Sliding Objects printing blank pages
          philmodjunk

Does your layout have sub summary layout parts?

Did you select the "resize enclosing part" option?

Are the blank pages all at the end of your preview or scattered throughout the entire report?

• 2. Re: Layout w/ Sliding Objects printing blank pages
            ZacherieWalker

Layout does not have subsummary parts.  It only has a Header, Body and Footer.

I selected the resize enclosing part with all of the fields in the layout.. well, besides the first two pages, which are static. 

The blank pages are at the end of the preview.  All merged fields are sliding up and enclosing as necessary.  

• 3. Re: Layout w/ Sliding Objects printing blank pages
              philmodjunk

But perhaps there is some other object next to or below them that isn't sliding up?

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
              3. Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
              5. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
              7. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
              9. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
              11. Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
              13. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
              15. In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.
              • 4. Re: Layout w/ Sliding Objects printing blank pages
                ZacherieWalker

So are you telling me to get rid of the Header and Footer?

• 5. Re: Layout w/ Sliding Objects printing blank pages
                  philmodjunk

I am not. This is a standard check list of key sliding object details that I share when there is an issue. Some folks put Fields with variable size contents inside a header or footer and then complain when they don't slide so that detail is in this list, but what you describe does not appear to be that situation unless you have an extremely large header or footer.

My best guess is that you have one of these:

A graphic or other object in the body below your last field not set to slide up and resize.

A graphic or other object that extends down the side of the layout or that encloses your sliding fields that is not set to slide up or resize.

A field that you thought was set up to slide/resize, isn't.

Sometimes, your best bet is to make a duplicate of your layout and then test the duplicate by removing different objects from your layout to see if you can get the preview correct. Then, what object(s) you had to delete can provide a clue as to what is going wrong on your layout.

• 6. Re: Layout w/ Sliding Objects printing blank pages
                    ZacherieWalker

Alright, thank you.  I started thinking it could be an object somewhere on the layout but I wasn't finding anything - however, I'll be sure to thoroughly check tomorrow when I get back into the office.  I'll be able to troubleshoot it then.

Thank you for your help, as usual, PhilMod!

• 7. Re: Layout w/ Sliding Objects printing blank pages
                      ZacherieWalker

There was a renegade object somewhere in the layout.. not sure if I accidentally hit a comma or what, but somewhere there was something ( I haven't found exactly what it was yet, but I highlighted the entire area I wanted to slide and found that some weren't moving )