1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2014 5:46 PM by RbnRbrts

Layout won't Collapse

RbnRbrts

Title

Layout won't Collapse

In one layout, when I go to preview mode the 'fields' designated to collapse are in fact collapsing, the 'parts' designated to collapse are collapsing, however the bottom half of the sheet remains blank.

The balance of the fields go to the next sheet with the bottom half of that page remaining blank, the same with the third sheet, so on and so forth.

I cannot figure what is not allowing the bottom half of each page to remain blank.

• 1. Re: Layout won't Collapse
          philmodjunk

By "collapse" do you mean that you set the fields to Slide Up? Did you also set them to "resize enclosing part"?

Are there any objects located on your layout below the last of these "collapsing" field?

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          15.           In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.
          • 2. Re: Layout won't Collapse
            RbnRbrts

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF... ****Check****
            3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand. *****Check*****
            5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.*****Check*****
            7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.*****Check*****
            9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.*****Not applicalbe*****
            11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.*****Check*****
            13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.*****Not applicable - just looking to slide objects up*****
            15.           In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.*****not applicable - fp7*****

Phil - thanks for the words of wisdom! Had my fingers crossed on #6 but unfortunately did not work. Any other ideas???

• 3. Re: Layout won't Collapse
              philmodjunk

Two possibilities:

a) an empty field isn't really empty, just looks empty. A field might have data, such as spaces, returns, tab characters, that is invisible to the human eye but still present and thus still keeping the field from shrinking.

b) You missed some detail in what you set to slide up and resize on your layout. The details here can be very picky sometimes.

You might want to upload a screen shot of your layout taken while it is in layout mode.

• 4. Re: Layout won't Collapse
                RbnRbrts

Phi -

a) an empty field isn't really empty, just looks empty. A field might have data, such as spaces, returns, tab characters, that is invisible to the human eye but still present and thus still keeping the field from shrinking.  *******checked each field....all empty*********

b) You missed some detail in what you set to slide up and resize on your layout. The details here can be very picky sometimes.   *******checked all details....all elements within the bounds are set to "slide up and resize"*********

You might want to upload a screen shot of your layout taken while it is in layout mode.

*******see attached screen shott!!*********

• 5. Re: Layout won't Collapse
                  philmodjunk

Presumably, Task, Reference, Tasked_from_1st,  Action by and Response are all set to both slide up and resize...

An easy way to see what objects are set to slide is to select Veiw | Show | Sliding Objects while in layout mode.

Can you upload a screen shot of the same in Preview mode that shows what isn't resizing as expected?

Does sliding fail at random or with every record?

Are any of the fields shown repeating fields? (Doesn't look like it, but there's a bug with sliding fields and sliding in some versions of FIleMaker.)

What version of FileMaker are you using?

• 6. Re: Layout won't Collapse
                    RbnRbrts

Presumably, Task, Reference, Tasked_from_1st,  Action by and Response are all set to both slide up and resize... ****yes*****

An easy way to see what objects are set to slide is to select Veiw | Show | Sliding Objects while in layout mode. *****thanks....good advice*****

Can you upload a screen shot of the same in Preview mode that shows what isn't resizing as expected? *****see attached*****

Does sliding fail at random or with every record? *****seems random (see attached) but consistently half page left empty*****

Are any of the fields shown repeating fields? (Doesn't look like it, but there's a bug with sliding fields and sliding in some versions of FIleMaker.) *****Nope******

What version of FileMaker are you using? *****fp7*****

• 7. Re: Layout won't Collapse
                      philmodjunk

.fp7 is the file type the version you are using could be anything form FileMaker 7 to FileMaker 11. You can check "about" in the FileMaker Help menu to see the precise version. (But if I need to set up a demo file, at least I know what file type to use...)

It's nearly impossible to see much detail in your screen shots due to their small size. Sometimes you have to make several posts and include a single image with each instead of cramming them all into a single image.

When you select "slide up" there's an additional detail to select: "all objects above" or "only objects directly above".  For four of the fields, it shouldn't make a difference, but I'd try "only objects directly above"

And frankly, it looks like you may have some extra returns in some of the fields given the way the data spaces vertically within the initiator field. That would explain why the data is so far down in the field in the 2nd record of the second screen shot. Combine that with "all above" specified for Response, and your fields look to be sliding as they were intended to slide.

• 8. Re: Layout won't Collapse
                        RbnRbrts

.fp7 is the file type the version you are using could be anything form FileMaker 7 to FileMaker 11. You can check "about" in the FileMaker Help menu to see the precise version. (But if I need to set up a demo file, at least I know what file type to use...) -*****FileMaker Pro 11.0v3*****

It's nearly impossible to see much detail in your screen shots due to their small size. Sometimes you have to make several posts and include a single image with each instead of cramming them all into a single image.*****yeah, I was wondering how to do this....several posts it will be****

When you select "slide up" there's an additional detail to select: "all objects above" or "only objects directly above".  For four of the fields, it shouldn't make a difference, but I'd try "only objects directly above" ****tried all fields each way.....no change****

And frankly, it looks like you may have some extra returns in some of the fields given the way the data spaces vertically within the initiator field. That would explain why the data is so far down in the field in the 2nd record of the second screen shot. Combine that with "all above" specified for Response, and your fields look to be sliding as they were intended to slide. ****the field in the 2nd record of the second page was being affected by the adjacent field with the 'n' of 'Rick Henderson' flowing down to next line. The fields are sliding like I would imagine, it is just the blank bottom portion of the page which is not cooperating.******

****Would it help if I send the filemaker file???****

• 9. Re: Layout won't Collapse
                          RbnRbrts
                          /files/c80741fb30/Layout_Issue_Shots_Page_2.jpg 1280x989
                          • 10. Re: Layout won't Collapse
                            RbnRbrts
                            /files/0c3d8c032c/Layout_Issue_Shots_Page_3.jpg 1280x989
                            • 11. Re: Layout won't Collapse
                              RbnRbrts
                              /files/0cd6852182/ScreenShot_sliding_objects.jpg 1280x806
                              • 12. Re: Layout won't Collapse
                                philmodjunk

Is the next item in your report after the "white space" a sub summary layout part? Could that part be set in Part Setup to put  a page break before/after each occurrence?

• 13. Re: Layout won't Collapse
                                  RbnRbrts

Is the next item in your report after the "white space" a sub summary layout part? PhilModJunck

*****no, the white space is within the 'body' area with the 'footer' being next.******

Could that part be set in Part Setup to put  a page break before/after each occurrence?, PhilModJunk

*****I actually created a new layout to test in its simplest form and come up with the same problem. When I grow the height of the two fields in question, the white space increases. When I shrink the height of the two fields in question, the white space shrinks. For whatever reason, the command for sliding up and resizing the enclosing part just isn't working. Maybe it's the application on this computer??******

• 14. Re: Layout won't Collapse
                                    philmodjunk

I should have recognized this one sooner, but I think that we've encountered a "known bug" with sliding, page breaks and sub summary layout parts:

For More Information see:     Frustrating subsummary bug

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

1 2 Previous Next